85 Saracen conquest....what have i started!.....Finished!

The Saracen ATB was never built by Knights and the headbadge was unconnected to them. The Cranes ended up with the 2 bikes because someone let them down last minute, and as an 18 year old girl in charge for a fortnight, I took pity and sent them from our stock to help them out. Not a bad last-minute decision as it turned out!!
Fantastic, welcome to the forum. 😬

Cheers. Interesting.....you may want to have a look/ edit the wikipedia page.

And indeed welcome.

One question though....if the early saracen mtb frames were not built by knights, why did they carry the knights cantilever hanger at the rear? Or did i read your post wrong?

Great to have you on board @Saracengirl and fantastic to have an insider's view someone who was there. My first proper MTB was a Saracen and I've always had a bit of an affection for them since.

I dont suppose you have any brochures or source material? I know there is at least one more person rebuilding an early bike as we speak. His is the 84 suntour equipped version, but as with many bikes, over time its lost parts and working out what it should have is difficult due to the lack of definitive info.

Sadly my working in a saracen dealership is limited to a couple of years after my bikes birthdate, so the start of the toughtrax era. I know the conquest was still available then, but I do not think we ever sold one! If you lusted after a saracen it was a kili!

Mtb was moving so fast at that point and "adventure / world touring" bikes just were not selling.....pitty really, as jump forwards 30 years and everybody wants one! Still the conquest is a fab bike very well made, with fantastic kit.

A true bit of british mtb history imho.

Last edited:
I dont suppose you have any brochures or source material? I know there is at least one more person rebuilding an early bike as we speak. His is the 84 suntour equipped version, but as with many bikes, over time its lost parts and working out what it should have is difficult due to the lack of definitive info.

Sadly my working in a saracen dealership is limited to a couple of years after my bikes birthdate, so the start of the toughtrax era. I know the conquest was still available then, but I do not think we ever sold one! If you lusted after a saracen it was a kili!

Mtb was moving so fast at that point and "adventure / world touring" bikes just were not selling.....pitty really, as jump forwards 30 years and everybody wants one! Still the conquest is a fab bike very well made, with fantastic kit.

A true bit of british mtb history imho.
If you tell me which model specifically, I’ll ask my dad. He never forgets. He talks about the “old days” often.

Welcome to the forum Saracengirl, that’s great information.
Were Saracens in continuous production from the early road bikes up to the MTBs or were the MTBs a separate initiative?
I ask because my first ‘proper’ bike was a Saracen 12 speed bought in ‘82 I think (Ishiwata 0245 frame, Shimano 600). The seller, Mike Thompson cycles in Coventry had 4 or 5 on special offer; he claimed at the time Saracen had sold them off very cheaply because they were struggling and had ceased (or were going to cease) production…?
I loved that bike!

Last edited:
@Saracengirl (hello!) so who built the prototypes?

And, what was the F. W. Evans connection?

Ta

bridge.jpg

Welcome to the forum Saracengirl, that’s great information.
Were Saracens in continuous production from the early road bikes to the MTBs or were the MTBs a separate initiative?
I ask because my first ‘proper’ bike was a Saracen 12 speed bought in ‘82 I think (Ishiwata 0245 frame, Shimano 600). The seller, Mike Thompson cycles in Coventry had 4 or 5 on special offer; he claimed at the time Saracen had sold them off very cheaply because they were struggling and had ceased (or were going to cease) production…?
I loved that bike!
The first time my dad saw an ATB it was brought to him by a parts company to show him the next “new thing”. We stripped it down sprayed it and rebuilt it with our decals on. We then sold it from the photo only to some of our customers. When the parts and tubing came in they went into production in Warwick. All hand built to order by a small but very talented workforce including my engineer dad, Brian Staples, my Mum who was a finisher and myself who sprayed them. When we were approached by Bluemels to invest, the business was sold to them with the family remaining as Directors. It then moved to their premises at Wolston. Coventry where it traded until Bluemels went into administration taking Saracen with it. The bikes Mike had would have been as a result of the administrators selling off stock. Saracen was profit making right up until the end. I loved our bikes and it was the end of an era. X

Amazing to have you here on the forum with 1st hand knowledge.......thaks for sharing! Was that ATB stripped and sprayed a Ritchey?

I have a slightly weird one, I thought it was a Saracen Conquest, but aparently might be a Citybike, has drum brakes instead of cantis...mid 80's (rear hub os '85 code)., its very beaten up on the paint, but a nice thing..if a bit big for me.....any thoughts?

saracen.png

Untitled 5.png

Untitled 11.png

Untitled 13.png

Back