80s Dawes road bike: Jaguar or Shadow?

Senior Ryder

Retro Newbie
Greetings from across the pond.

I recently got a Dawes frameset and am having difficulty in determining the model from the available catalogs. The serial number is WD4891. It has the black & silver oval head badge that was introduced for the 1982 model year, but no model label. It was fitted with a Sugino caged bearing bottom bracket, a Tange headset & Weimann center pull brakes. It also had a steel seat post.

Here’s the quandary, Dawes used the same paint scheme on both the Jaguar and Shadow models during the late 80s and into the 90s. Dark gray (almost black) on the top section that fades to gray going down. Both colors have slight metallic tinge. Although it has Weimann CP brakes and a steel seat post which are shown only on the Shadows, it has forged dropouts and the graphics from the Jaguar, including the 531 decal at the top of the down tube. Both models show clamp-on down tube shifters or cable stops in various pictures. This frame only has a button brazed on the bottom of the down tube to prevent slippage plus the usual brazed on cable stops for the brake & derailleurs.
Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
Van
AKA Senior Ryder IMG_2936[1].JPG IMG_2933[1].JPG IMG_2931[1].JPG IMG_2929[1].JPG IMG_2928[1].JPG

I have a Dawes Shadow similar age but it has Reynolds 500 tubing which doesn't have the adjusters on the rear dropouts . Do you doubt that the decals are original ?

I was wondering if there were any differences in the specification for export models .

I have a Dawes Shadow similar age but it has Reynolds 500 tubing which doesn't have the adjusters on the rear dropouts . Do you doubt that the decals are original ?

I was wondering if there were any differences in the specification for export models .
Hello,
Good call on the possible differences between models for the home market and those for export. None the Shadows shown in the available catalogues, show forged dropouts. The ones on this frame are stamped “DAWES”. Some additional info that leads me to believe that this may have been a special model. There is a small number 72 stamped on seat lug. I’ve been told that this is for the seat tube angle. Dawes used 72 degrees for tour and casual riding frames, but they used 73 for performance frames. Other interesting info; the date code on the BB spindle indicates January 1983 while the code on one of the Weinmann brakes is December 1984. Most likely an 85 model. Also, it uses a 26.8 seat post which is unusual for 531 DB tubing. The frame, fork & headset weighs just under 3 kg.
Since Dawes primarily imported Galaxies to the US, could this possibly be one of those?
Thanks for your input. It’s been very helpful. I hope to finish the build soon & will post my impression.
Regards,
Van

I just did a bit of searching and discovered a post on this site dated back to 2011 . Dawes Jaguar pub bike . The bike is in the same colour scheme as yours and was from the mid 80's. I also found another post elsewhere concerning a red and black version which had 73 stamped into the lugs . The bike was described bas a Sports bike and not a racer. Whether Dawes changed the design at some point I don't know .
I have 3 Dawes cycles . 1960's Double Blue and Red Feather and an 80's Shadow . They all ride nicely.

Back