8 Speed cassete on a 7 speed freehub

voteforpedro

Specialized Fan
Does anyone have any experience with this? I´ve found on google that you can fit a 8 speed cassete on a 7 speed freehub as they´re pretty much the same dimensions.
I´m looking for anyone that has this setup or tried it before. I want to know if there´s any drawbacks and if it really does work properly before I commit to buy a 8 speed cassete.

Thanks!

You can't fit an 8 speed cassette to a 7 speed freehub. Either miss one of the sprockets out, or change the freehub body to an 8 speed version.

I just had a quick look at that link, and it is about the worst explanation I have ever read on anything to do with hub and cassette compatibility! I gave up after a few paragraphs, as most of it was impossible to understand due to way it is written, and the bits I could understand appeared to be mostly wrong anyway....

I just had a quick look at that link, and it is about the worst explanation I have ever read on anything to do with hub and cassette compatibility! I gave up after a few paragraphs, as most of it was impossible to understand due to way it is written, and the bits I could understand appeared to be mostly wrong anyway....
Exactly my thoughts too, the whole thing does not make any sense at all. That´s why I decided to ask here.
I appreciate your help! Thanks!

8 speed shifters work ok on a 7 speed cassette if you set the derailler stop so you can't use the first gear on the shifter.

Depends on the freehub. Does the existing 7 speed cassette have a spacer under it? The spacer would indicate that it is wide and compatible.

It doesn´t have a spacer. I wanted to keep it 8 speed as I got an 8 speed stx rc groupset and wished to keep it as it´s intended. However it's quite difficult to find just the body to swap so it´s likely that I´ll run it as @oaklec suggested.

Back