8 spd hub recommendations (mid to late '90s)

^ sadly not. The race material is crap on newer hubs. Chinesium alloy i believe! They just wear very quickly even with maintenance.

Ive got 35 year old hubs in better condition than newer shimano hubs, with 10 times the mileage and abuse thrown at them.

As for the aluminium axles......wtaf! Whats the point of saving weight if you end up with a rubbish, unreliable product.

Just my opinion of course!

These are mine, I purchased them from another retrobike member captaincowelly (Rip). They’re in decent used condition and I’m happy to do a deal on here.

Thread 'STX, STX-RC, Alivio Bits'
https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/stx-stx-rc-alivio-bits.433631/

Edit: just saw you’re after 36h my Stx-RC 32h. I have a front xt 737 in lovely condition and a front hope ultralight in 36h too. No 36h rear hubs at the moment.

I saw these, they look in good condition, yeah it's the 32 hole thing, I'm ideally after a 36 h for the back, it's for a rigid frame you see. Thanks though. Some good kit on here.

Yes. I still have the stx rc hubs if you want them.
Ideally after an 8 spd rear hub with 36 hole, just the rear for now because I think I might be able to source a NOS front wheel. See I'm trying to keep the transmission STX-RC. This sounds interesting.

^ sadly not. The race material is crap on newer hubs. Chinesium alloy i believe! They just wear very quickly even with maintenance.

Ive got 35 year old hubs in better condition than newer shimano hubs, with 10 times the mileage and abuse thrown at them.

As for the aluminium axles......wtaf! Whats the point of saving weight if you end up with a rubbish, unreliable product.

I got some modern Tiagras on my race bike, it'll be interesting to see how long they last, I've contemplated getting some Exage ones when they go kaput as they're relatively still quite easy to source, plus they're lighter. Stuff's not made to last anymore like it once was.

You are probably right. I have been using older m950 hubs and even those have given me grief. I will probably spend a lot but buy Hugi or White next pair of wheels i build.

Back