8 spd hub recommendations (mid to late '90s)

onyerbike531

Retro Guru
I was wondering if anyone's got any recommendations regarding 135mm spaced, 8 speed, non disc, QR hubs from the '90s
I was thinking STX-RC but they're proving quite difficult to find, what others could I opt for from this era? What about LX or XT, Hope? Ringle? I don't think my budget will stretch that far for the last two.
If I had to go modern would a newer Deore one do the job? They're also proving quite hard to find in silver with 36 holes. I don't really want to have to get a black one, I'm fed up with the only options being that colour with components these days, what was wrong with silver?

It was going to be the crankset next on the list for this build but I feel the rear wheel might be more important at the moment especially with the scarcity of suitable rear hubs.

I intend to use this bike regularly for couriering and forays off road in the summer, I just can't get into the look of modern MTBs, everything's getting a bit too futuristic and dare I say it, a bit ugly (but that's my personal opinion) I'm sure there are some nice modern MTBs, out of my price range.

Thanks Retrobike community

I'd always go for Shimano XT M737 as a first choice - nicely finished with excellent seals and bearings.
Like you I find they are surprisingly scarce.

Later Shimano XT M750 are OK, althoguh they have a less attractive painted finish.
Avoid M780 - they went to aluminium axles and had to reduce the bearing size as a result. They don't last and often have a life of only 1000 miles or so.

I'm a bit of a stick in the mud and happily run 7 speed as the shifting is bombproof, drivetrains last and wheels build up stronger.

You're preaching to the converted as I too would take 7 over anything else any day. I really wanted to go 7 speed but I acquired some 8 spd STX-RC shifters for free and have had to work it all around that, I now have the rear derailleur to match.

Ok I'll remember that, thanks for the tip offs. I'll get searching.

STX-RC hubs on ebay:

How well they have been cared for is likely to be at least as important as how good they were to start off.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
STX-RC hubs on ebay:

How well they have been cared for is likely to be at least as important as how good they were to start off.

Thanks for the links.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
STX-RC hubs on ebay:

These are mine, I purchased them from another retrobike member captaincowelly (Rip). They’re in decent used condition and I’m happy to do a deal on here.

Thread 'STX, STX-RC, Alivio Bits'
https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/stx-stx-rc-alivio-bits.433631/

Edit: just saw you’re after 36h my Stx-RC 32h. I have a front xt 737 in lovely condition and a front hope ultralight in 36h too. No 36h rear hubs at the moment.

Last edited:
Back