700c wheels and 29er rigid forks on a 26er (modern)

MarinMartin

Marin Fan
After struggling to find a decent hybrid in my budget and the 29er build going nowhere. I was having a crazy idea. I've seen it done before but I want to make sure it's not going to be a stupid idea.

I have a 2014 Marin Rocky Ridge which I built up for last year's racing. It's now sat doing nothing and I did lend it to my dad for a bit but I'm thinking about making it into a hybrid.

I have a set of 700c wheels and will be sticking a pair of 700x35 tyres on it so not chunkies. Difficult to tell without the tyres but they seem to have plenty of clearance. I also want to fit a pair of 29 rigid forks. basically they have 465mm axle to crown and my current 120mm suspension forks have 500mm (without sag) so am thinking I should be fairly safe with them). Biggest question is will it make it handle like a clown bike or should it be ok with the forks and bigger wheels? I know about the slightly higher bottom bracket but not sure how it will affect handling.

just to add it will only be road and canal path style trails

This is the bike in question

Attachments

• kryptonite ride.jpg
    kryptonite ride.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 746
Re:

This is my 26" voodoo wanga with a 700c fork and wheels. I haven't had a chance to go out on it yet, but I'm looking forward to doing some bike packing on it in the spring.

Attachments

• IMG_31012019_090946_(1200_x_675_pixel).jpg
    IMG_31012019_090946_(1200_x_675_pixel).jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 741
do it.

Remember seeing someones Kona on here years ago done like that. Might have been running skinnier tyres, but should work fine.

BB isn't much higher - a 26" with big tyres isn't too far a 700c with smaller ones, and if you are shortening the fork then sounds good.
Only thing is if the head angle steepens with a shorter fork, but if it's rigid at least it won't get steeper as the front brake comes on, and most modern-ish frames have much slacker head angles than bikes used to.

Re:

I don't foresee any problems with the fork so much, just wondering how the slightly higher bottom bracket is going to affect the centre of gravity / handling more than anything (so if it's highly noticeable or not really for road/touring use). Like I say it's not going to be used on anything tougher than gravel paths.

won't be going any wider than 38 tyres (35 more than likely) and it normally runs 26x2.4 tyres so clearance should be ok. Seems a waste to go out and buy a new bike when that one could be re-purposed if it works.

zetecmk2":29ltx8u4 said:
will v brakes work with 700c and 26" frame?

V brakes don't usually line up. Mine is disc though so that's not an issue. Going to try and find some el cheapo hybrid tyres for my 700 rims and see what the clearance is like. If it's ok then she's getting rebuilt.

If memory seves me right the earliest cotic roadrats could run 26" wheels as well as the normal 700c wheels ( though i've never seen one with 26" wheels fitted) and the latest gravel bikes can run 700c wheels or 650 wheels with chunky tyres, so i doubt it will make any difference. I stuck a rigid 29er carbon fork on an 26mtb and quite honestly didn't notice any difference in handling.

Re:

MarinMartin if you fancy getting that 29er build back on track I have a 29er frame in large going up for sale next week. Fresh back from the powder coaters in "Kawasaki" green.

It has been built up to ensure all threads and faces are clear of powder coat, in fact I am out on it right now.

Let me know if you are interested.

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 507
Back