7 speed help needed

Wildturkey

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
Hi guys

I've began to rebuild my old 93 kilauea. Tonight I tried to swap a 7 speed hg cassette from a buckled wheel (lx m563 hub) to a better wheel (xt m732 hub) the problem is that on the xt hub 6th gear isn't tight in the cluster when i tighten the lock ring

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Chris

sometimes a small spacer is required behind the cassette

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-cs-hg-1 ... 60390269uk

shimano-cassette-spacer.jpg

Re:

Ah ok thanks

I've got one of those between 5th and 6th - so I need to add more before the cassette goes on the hub is that it

Re:

Thanks guys.

Been a while from I worked on this bike. Ill try the 1mm spacer behind the cassette and see if that does the trick

The lock ring needs to lock to something - if the cassette is too far back by even a mm, it wont be able to do its job

Re:

Various widths and combinations of spacers can be used to fill the gap – they need to be put onto the freehub body first before sliding on the cassette. Everything should fit snug with no play once the lock ring has been clicked tight.

Re:

Thanks everyone

I think I've a spare 1mm spacer. I'm going to try that after work and see but I've a feeling I might need to take up more than 1mm of slack

Re:

If you have any old, not likely to be used again cassettes hanging around, these can be dismantled for the spacers, if the type of cassette construction allows.

Back