7 speed gripshifters

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
OK, so I'm trying to decide which way to go on my Orange build, trying to keep costs down and not too bothered about getting it period correct. I've never got on with rapid fire type shifters - I love the classic thumbies but prices seem to be getting sillier all the time.

My only gripshifter experience is of worn out crap on poorly maintained BSOs... but ergonomically I find them preferable to the dual lever push push type... and I know that some half decent bikes had them bitd.

There are loads of cheap 7 speed gripshifters out there, new and used. Any thoughts? Any fans on here?

Re:

You need to go higher end, the difference between a SRT400 and 500/600 are quite large in use.

The later era 90s shifter with extra spring and thing are even nicer to use. I have some Attack long pipe version but 9sp and they are a joy to use.

Depends. Problem will be using worn old ones.

Re:

I have used the srt 400 and 500 and 600 all are good simple to service etc

I have some spare but there scratched to hell lol

zedsdead":3pd6g5l3 said:
X-Rays
I used mine until a few years ago, love them. Definitely worth having a look for a set of them
Don't think they made a 7speed version.

If you can find some 7speed Sachs/SRAM Neos they are nice to use. Still not as nice as my attacks.

Re:

Don't go the cheaper twist shift route, you won't like them, I speak from experience!
The SRT-600 is good though, well worth trying.
I still use the SRT-800 "X-Ray" 8 speed shifters on my Orange, so simple, light, and virtually maintenance free.
Sachs made some decent twist shifters too, have a look at those if you fancy something a bit different.
If you want shifters that cost more than your bike then take a look at the Precision Billet/ Pro-Shift "Bullet" twist shifters :shock:

Re: Re:

Thanks all for the input. I think I may go down this route, quite fancy trying something different.

jimo746":2fsin5ns said:
Don't go the cheaper twist shift route, you won't like them, I speak from experience!
The SRT-600 is good though, well worth trying.

I've been looking on eBay... SRT-600 seems to be 8 speed... SRT-500 are 7 speed. Unless this is just a coincidence?

I'm in two minds re gearing, but I've got a nice set of 7 speed wheels, so that's the easy route...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back