45th anniversary coming up

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
On October 21, 1976 I agreed to help a few friends settle an argument as to who was the fastest downhill rider on our modified "klunker" bikes. We had decided that a time trial was the way to make it as fair as possible. I worked out a timing system with a couple of clocks. We had that race on a steep 1.8 mile section of fire road that descended 1300 feet (14% average grade) that we called "Repack"

There is a reason they play the other 161 baseball games after the first one of the season. If you lost that first game, you want to play another that you might win. The same held true for our downhill race. The losers wanted another shot at the winner. Five days later we were back on that hill for another race, and four days later, for another. Soon, riders we had never heard of started showing up to race.

For a couple of years the downhill race took over the lives of a couple of dozen bicycle hobbyists, myself included. I bought the first generation of digital stopwatches to help time the racer. I promoted the race. Eventually I asked my friend Joe Breeze to build me a bike specifically for the race.

Gary Fisher, the course record holder, asked Tom Ritchey to build a similar bike. Tom liked the project and built a few more. He consigned them to Gary, who asked me to help sell these new bikes. We rented a garage to build bikes in and came up with the grandiose name for our company: MountainBikes.

On that date there is usually a gathering at the start line, but I don't bring the timers.
We just rip the hill one more time.

I often sit and wonder “what if mountain bikes were never invented” - how would I spend my time and money. Yes other hobbies have come and gone but nothing quite feels the same.

Loved riding since I was 10’years old in 1995 on my first proper bike -a RTS3. Still riding 3-4 times a week at 37 , building bikes and dreaming of other to buy. And for that I thank you and your friends for being the start of something truly great.

Back