Sorted 3x7 speed shifters/canti brake levers combo or separate

MarinMartin

Marin Fan
Hi all you lovely retrobike peoples.

So I've had a bike in my shed for a while which I want to get fixed up now. It's an early/mid 90s Marin Bobcat trail and the shifters are dead which to be honest is the only problem with it other than a tyre. It has the 3x7 shifter/brake lever (centre pull) combo on it at the moment but I'm not worried if I replace it with combo or separate shifters and levers. It cost me £10 as I wanted to save it from scrap. Does anyone have anything cheap but working just so I can get it up and running at least.

Many thanks

Have you tried spraying a load of WD40 or GT85 into the shifters? A common failure mode for Shimano shifters of this era is for the grease to go hard and prevent the ratchet mechanism from working.

Hi Grahame. Yeah that was the first thing I did as my old muirwoods always had that problem. No luck unfortunately so think I need replacements.

Bit too modern, but would probs do a job?
Thanks Mark but I already have 2 sets of those. I need older canti / centre pull levers as v brake levers don't work too well with canti brakes.

I might have some 7sp gripshift with tektro handles or some 7sp STI brifters.
If you wan't posh I have near new DX brifters. (Posting from EU)

Hi all you lovely retrobike peoples.

So I've had a bike in my shed for a while which I want to get fixed up now. It's an early/mid 90s Marin Bobcat trail and the shifters are dead which to be honest is the only problem with it other than a tyre. It has the 3x7 shifter/brake lever (centre pull) combo on it at the moment but I'm not worried if I replace it with combo or separate shifters and levers. It cost me £10 as I wanted to save it from scrap. Does anyone have anything cheap but working just so I can get it up and running at least.

Many thanks
Are these any use??
Not mine but just found post

Are these any use??
Not mine but just found post

They're ideal. I've just messaged them so fingers crossed they still have them.

Back