Re: calling on Brodie fans

A Rocky Mountain, built for Rocky Mountain, whose torch man at the time happened to be Paul Brodie, is a Rocky Mountain.

A Brodie Built in Asia, Is a Brodie, but an off the peg production bike built in Asia, like so many others, (im thinking Paul Saddoff Rock Lobster, and the NTI tie up here), Its a Brodie.

A Handbuilt Brodie, then now or in the future is a Brodie...Only a "Paul Brodie", ala Handbuilt custom one off. Its a Brodie, but I guess the "Paul" makes the Difference.

Me Building a Frame, next to and guided by/overseen/helped/fettled/tidied up with help from Paul Brodie, is a frame I have been taught to build By a master craftsman called Paul Brodie, it would have my name on it........perhaps with a custom decal from Flashback Fabrications and signed off by Paul Brodie.

And if it had a decal on it that said Flashback Fabrications, it would still be a Brodie.

Attachments

• NAHBS-Winners-8.jpg
    NAHBS-Winners-8.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 327

sinnerman":kj2oepkv said:
A Rocky Mountain, built for Rocky Mountain, whose torch man at the time happened to be Paul Brodie, is a Rocky Mountain.

A Brodie Built in Asia, Is a Brodie, but an off the peg production bike built in Asia, like so many others, (im thinking Paul Saddoff Rock Lobster, and the NTI tie up here), Its a Brodie.

A Handbuilt Brodie, then now or in the future is a Brodie...Only a "Paul Brodie", ala Handbuilt custom one off. Its a Brodie, but I guess the "Paul" makes the Difference.

Me Building a Frame, next to and guided by/overseen/helped/fettled/tidied up with help from Paul Brodie, is a frame I have been taught to build By a master craftsman called Paul Brodie, it would have my name on it........perhaps with a custom decal from Flashback Fabrications and signed off by Paul Brodie.

Spot on.

I have a question.

Kona and Brodie, Uk catalogue, 89 + 90, top of the range Explosif and a Brodie Climbmax.........riding an Explosif but yearned for a Brodie, looking very closely at the two bikes the geometry fork choice tubing and brake type/position etc, would there have been a difference...? who helped who? who designed what?

Ok I guess that's 3 questions...

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 320
  • 1071074368_2806ab12dc_b.jpg
    1071074368_2806ab12dc_b.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 320
Re:

a frame made by Brodie for Rocky Mountain is just that, a Rocky Mountain made by Brodie. as are any of the Rocky Mountain frames made by DeKerf. They are not Brodie or DeKerf frame, plain and simple. They outsourced there service to any brand/manufacturer and got paid for said products.

at the end of the day for a hand built frame, it's the person who created the frame, not necessarily the brand it was sold under that matters to a collector, isn't it? branding it as Rocky Mountain, Brodie or DeKerf is just a technicality for a brand enthusiast.

RockiMtn":2tkvdugj said:
at the end of the day for a hand built frame, it's the person who created the frame, not necessarily the brand it was sold under that matters to a collector, isn't it? branding it as Rocky Mountain, Brodie or DeKerf is just a technicality for a brand enthusiast.

And there in lies the question.

Who created it..? was it the frame builder, or was it the company who employed the frame builder..? who designed the frame, who paid for the tubes and the fabricators time, who supplied the shop in which it was built and the tools to do the job...?

Its a Rocky Mountain, fabricated by a frame builder employed by Rocky Mountain.

sinnerman":2t6hb21l said:
And there in lies the question.

Who created it..? was it the frame builder, or was it the company who employed the frame builder..? who designed the frame, who paid for the tubes and the fabricators time, who supplied the shop in which it was built and the tools to do the job...?

Its a Rocky Mountain, fabricated by a frame builder employed by Rocky Mountain.
i think the question or debate being asked here is not who "created" (as it's clearly Paul Brodie) but who "owns" the frame as a brand. Paul still could have designed the frame, paid for the tubes and tools, etc, but if he was contracted by another company who paid for his services and bought the frames from him, they (in the case Rocky Mountain) owns the right to brand it as there own.

it's no different than all the companies that contracted Sandvik, Merlin, Litespeed to create all those Titanium frames in the early 90s.

Back