31.8 stem / bars on retrobike

Yeah but only recently. I can wait. I'm a cack handed oaf so it'll take me 6 months to set up the cantis properly anyway....

Re:

Don't listen to Adrian It's a trap!!

Nothing good will come of this kind of thing... look at the new Mini, Fiat 500 and Beetle, do you want your bike to look like one of these bastard children, do you?!

al.

Re:

Listen to Adrian he knows what he's talking about...

al.

I think it relates to whether the frameset has oversized/very fat tubing. Obviously Klein fans are allergic to any bar/stem combo that isn't Klein, but for example the Cannondale CAAD 3 I'm rebuilding has fat tubes to perhaps rival said Kleins, and I'm going 31.8.
In the interests of comfort though, I've chosen Carbon handlebars (mainly because I need a little rise and non-flat Titanium handlebars are astonishingly expensive).

It was ITM King Size :LOL:

The Ritchey Classic range is nice though and Thompsons can also look nice. I think it will detract from the retro-ness though - if that's a problem for you? :D

raidan73":ivupwdab said:

The Ritchey Classic range is nice though and Thompsons can also look nice. I think it will detract from the retro-ness though - if that's a problem for you? :D

Please forgive me... how could I have doubted you and your unswerving dedication to the retro cause, I feel such a fool.

al.

:LOL:

I actually only know because I had the offending bar/stem. I grabbed this image from Google as I couldn't find mine (looking at all the crap in the background it could actually be my image). I sold the bar and stem for a tenner posted with the sales pitch 'very rare but not necessarily desirable'!

al":2nh8rt98 said:
raidan73":2nh8rt98 said:

Please forgive me... how could I have doubted you and your unswerving dedication to the retro cause, I feel such a fool.

al.

Attachments

• itm.jpg
    itm.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 165
Frame is a 1993 Saracen Kili XTR Elite - like this awesome specimen:

viewtopic.php?t=83926

It will be mostly period correct. The frame isn't oversized (good point made by N/B). I guess I am a bit worried about significantly detracting from the aesthetics of the bike. I just haven't seen modern stems / bars on an old bike in the flesh. Gut feeling is it would look wrong.

What stem are you looking for? I've a few kicking about. I've been guilty of using 31.8 stems on retro steeds but it has to look right. They don't look out of place on my STS which I think is the only one I've done it on. Plenty of 'standard' size options from hope, Thompson etc if you aren't bothered about modern, or you could get that perfect retro stem/bar combo in the period size I'm sure.

Back