2nd hand disc brakes

I briefly had a set of M4s; they were dire! Not a patch on the Martas/ Louises I was used to. Martas have plenty of power for XC, even with the ultra skinny SL 160mm disc. Fit a 180mm disc with more meat on it and you're laughing.

Not tried the MT4 and not the first time I've heard bad things about them, the Louises and Martas have all been good though. Haven't honestly got much of a clue about mineral oil vs DOT fluid really and yeah Hayes and Avids have all stopped me (except the Stroker Rides which nearly killed me) but the Maguras have just such great modulation, maybe it's the pads but I have different brands front and back.

Another thumbs up for Rose, I picked up a pair of SLX. Super duper one fingered braking!

I'm waiting for Rose to get some XT's in stock. Although I'm on the verge of ordering a set of SLX as they're in stock. Although the Formula One FR's are still tempting me...

I waited for the XT's but after a bit of investigation the only difference is the finishing, slightly better on XT which I think is the polished reservoir cap and the pad retaining pin is a pin rather than a split pin but if you buy XT pads you get the XT pin. Everything else is the same. Still I'm hanging out for XT's for another bike :roll:

And the free stroke adjustment, although there is some debate as to whether it does owt.

I'm just hanging on because I'm a tart and because the price difference is so minimal, combined with not being in a huge rush to change brakes as my Hayes work pretty well.

I'm pretty convinced that'll I'll sack off my M4's on the little bike for a set of Deore brakes as the M4's are a pain to set up...stupid shims. Grrrr.

Back