26" full length mudguards

Yep, nabbed it back when Planet X imported lots of Japanese stuff. Blue Lug do them, maybe Tokyobike. Old tech like those rucksacks you’d get from the Army and Navy for school.

Thank you to all who have posted so far and to those who may post in the future.

@Guinessisgoodforyou - which SKS model is that? are they metal?

Anyone out there with Gilles Berthoud guards?
Yes, on my Gilles Berthoud built commuter but that is a 700c :)

Fairly faffy to fit, but nowhere near as bad as Honjo. Saying that, I've never had to adjust those or the Honjos on my touring bike so I guess thats something.

20231119_080533.jpg

SKS Bluemels. Modified with fabric-softener bottle extender, and vintage Hazard triangle!! Running over 1.75 tyres here.

Edit: once the initial fitting (cutting stays to length etc) is done, they are very quick to release for the summer months. Just undo 1 bolt, then they clip off.

Last edited:
That looks like a real beast, nice rack :) what make? Is that a 3d printer in the background?
Bike is a Scott Genius 920 Eride,
And the rack is a Thule Pack 'n' pedal tour rack.

Due to the bike being my main get about and shopper, and being full suss I needed that type of rack. Thule make one and Topeak make one, them both being the same price. But then I spots a new Thule one on ebay for £40 bnib and that made the choice for me. It does the job, but you only really get the rack and to have panniers you need to add sides to it which cost extra(typically) which adds 30 quid.
But overall its been very good and reasonably easy to fit*
*Fitting, theres a special key thats used to 'lock/unlock the straps. and you can only do that with this special key which you must guard against losing.

The thing in the background is my drum sander.

Bike is a Scott Genius 920 Eride,
And the rack is a Thule Pack 'n' pedal tour rack.

Due to the bike being my main get about and shopper, and being full suss I needed that type of rack. Thule make one and Topeak make one, them both being the same price. But then I spots a new Thule one on ebay for £40 bnib and that made the choice for me. It does the job, but you only really get the rack and to have panniers you need to add sides to it which cost extra(typically) which adds 30 quid.
But overall its been very good and reasonably easy to fit*
*Fitting, theres a special key thats used to 'lock/unlock the straps. and you can only do that with this special key which you must guard against losing.

The thing in the background is my drum sander.
You must be a serious woodworker :oops:

Just fitted some Zefal Trail 65 mudguards to my Marin.

Running 26x2.3 front and 26x2.1 rear, and they give decent clearance. Protection is not perfect, but they certainly make wet muddy riding a lot more pleasant.

Straightforward to fit, and seem pretty solid on the trails so far.

PXL_20231126_145233392~2.jpg

You must be a serious woodworker :oops:
It was my job for a while, but now more a hobby. Occasionally need things for the house, tables chairs, more recently and not yet designed a tv unit. So I have a well stocked home workshop because II just hate being without something I feel I must have :LOL:

I felt I needed a drum sander, and viola, the delivery guy brought me one :D Yet to use the damn thing, but when i do, there it will be ready and waiting.

It was my job for a while, but now more a hobby. Occasionally need things for the house, tables chairs, more recently and not yet designed a tv unit. So I have a well stocked home workshop because II just hate being without something I feel I must have :LOL:

I felt I needed a drum sander, and viola, the delivery guy brought me one :D Yet to use the damn thing, but when i do, there it will be ready and waiting.
Right tool for the job, can't waste money on bikes, tools, food or books.

Back