26 ain't dead - but darned difficult to get intensive care

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
...I love my 26 inch bikes....managed to hunt down some 30mm internal rims (CR came through) but 35mm internal now totally gone...and now tyres are going short...plenty of 2.0 and 2.35 but NOTHING in 2.6....true retrorubber revival now seems to be happening - great to see much older tyres now coming through new...but a big gap opening up on quality rims and rubber which were available only a short time ago...

Re:

I work in the bike trade and can tell you that the issues with availability stem largely from the Covid pandemic more than anything else.
This year is going to be very difficult for getting hold of new parts due to the various supply, manufacture and distribution problems that are very real at present.
The manufacture and distribution of niche products and older designs will be the first to be sacrificed.
It won't always be like this but I've had information from my suppliers suggesting lead times on some products of up to 700 days.

It's going to be a difficult year.

Re:

….very helpful...particularly that insight re 'first to be sacrificed...' - hopefully the supply of 'niche26' will start again...but 'first out, last in' might apply and it may be last to revive...I sure hope it does...very bad for the planet to have to replace my perfectly capable 26ers...

Now I'm glad I spent the last 20 years storing bike things away muttering to myself, "That might come in handy one day."

I went to H alfords the other day to collect a HRM strap and apart from a few oddities, they had not a single bike left in the building. Components were few and far between as well.

Possibly we could make a thread/database that details compatibility options from people who have tried jamming 27.5 wheels in 26"-specific frames ... ie which tyres work in which frames (and old forks) at this size. I wonder if the future for 26"-specific frames might be 27.5 wheels wrapped in low-profile cyclocross-style tyres so they don't foul anywhere. (This is only a theory - I haven't got any 27.5 wheels lying around to test it.)

adroitstif":3jzz19e9 said:
Possibly we could make a thread/database that details compatibility options from people who have tried jamming 27.5 wheels in 26"-specific frames ... ie which tyres work in which frames (and old forks) at this size. I wonder if the future for 26"-specific frames might be 27.5 wheels wrapped in low-profile cyclocross-style tyres so they don't foul anywhere. (This is only a theory - I haven't got any 27.5 wheels lying around to test it.)

or just bite the bullet and order a new.... oh, wait

Ok, order in some new 26''... damn!

Walk?

Re:

It's possible, just possible, that the bike shortage combined with the upsurge in cycling, leads to more 26-ers being restored/maintained/ridden and increases the demand for 26-er specific parts, thereby prolonging their availability. Short term difficulties in supply but perhaps a bit more life in the old 26" dog yet. :?:

I hope so, anyway, because I sold off the modern 650b and kept the retro 26-ers.

Re:

CassidyA - interesting....I run 29, 27.5 and 26 … I really, really, do not want to lose the memories and performance built into my 26er steel bikes...they absolutely have their place...and not just on the jump lines....

Re:

Interesting - I was about to have a purge and move on all sorts of 26" and retro goodness.

Now I think I just pack it all away nicely.

Back