1992 Alpinestars Al Mega XT - update 13/06/16

Re: 1992 Alpinestars Al Mega XT

Muddy paw":3curyjro said:
I love these bikes as they just look so :cool: and yours just seems to look to damn good to be chanced lying around at work even if isn't pristine i'd still worry over it :facepalm: .

Excellent work as usual mate and i'll be keeping tabs on your next one ;) ,,
Thanks mate! Due to delays in "finishing it" (mainly involving getting the wheels re-trued and swapping the cassette) it never actually made it out on a work commute but it'd be as safe as houses if I did ever take it in.

I doubt there'll be next one! :p :LOL:

regan_ev":3u2i2qkk said:
Muddy paw":3u2i2qkk said:
I love these bikes as they just look so :cool: and yours just seems to look to damn good to be chanced lying around at work even if isn't pristine i'd still worry over it :facepalm: .

Excellent work as usual mate and i'll be keeping tabs on your next one ;) ,,
Thanks mate! Due to delays in "finishing it" (mainly involving getting the wheels re-trued and swapping the cassette) it never actually made it out on a work commute but it'd be as safe as houses if I did ever take it in.

I doubt there'll be next one! :p :LOL:

Your welcome mate , so still yet to be finished eh! well at least you haven't got alot left to do now although tbh i can't true a wheel no matter how hard i try :facepalm: but at least changing a cassette is easy ..

Oh well at least your getting there and shame their won't be another one as you could of had twins ;) ..

Muddy paw":3ikczx0f said:
Your welcome mate , so still yet to be finished eh! well at least you haven't got alot left to do now although tbh i can't true a wheel no matter how hard i try :facepalm: but at least changing a cassette is easy ..

Oh well at least your getting there and shame their won't be another one as you could of had twins ;) ..
No it is finished now, but I'm gonna add the Mag20s in a couple of weeks (awaiting new headset). I meant that the original plan for this was simply to use as a commuter on the slicks. Plans always change though ha!
Well, I was looking at a 15" version of this last night... but really I can't justify another one. :LOL:
Cheers.

regan_ev":pogjliho said:
Muddy paw":pogjliho said:

No it is finished now, but I'm gonna add the Mag20s in a couple of weeks (awaiting new headset). I meant that the original plan for this was simply to use as a commuter on the slicks. Plans always change though ha!
Well, I was looking at a 15" version of this last night... but really I can't justify another one. :LOL:
Cheers.

Ah got it ! :) , so your not finished sorting it then even though it's usable as your going to fit a new headset and some lovely Mag20's in 2 weeks :cool: and yes i've lost count of the amount of times plans have changed for my projects :facepalm: ..

Theirs nothing wrong with looking at another 15" version but you yes you just need to keep it under control as i was only having a bike for me and one for the mrs last year so three and a half bikes later :LOL: i can't find any room in me shed :facepalm: ..

Any way i'm looking forward very much to seeing these Mags fitted as that will finish the Mega off nicely ..

Re:

Very nice mini resto, little things can make a big difference!
I just bought a yellow white AlMega DX in very good condition but with the usual crack. In my case at the dropout/seattube weld.
Do you have experience with riding with or repairing a crack?

Prepped a few bits to fit next week and swapped the seatpost from black USE to silver USE.
RockShox Mag20 are my originals from Christmas 92 that have had a shorter 1¼" threaded steerer sourced from shinobi (aka Paul - thanks!) to fit this frame (it's a 17½" compared to the 19" which had a taller headtube on my original Al Mega DX I had BITD). Oh, and a pair of ATI boots I also found in a box in the garage!
Because of the Alpinestars ODS fork and its clamp-on stem, swapping to the Mags requires a quill stem, so I polished up a Zoom 1¼"/135mm I've had since 1993 and will fit the bluish-silver Alpinestars 6061 Aluminum bars I recently bought from Ian (racer x). I considered an original Alpinestars Mega Lite stem and bar but the Zoom and newer bars are about 50g lighter as a pair, so will help offset the additional weight that fitting the Mags will create. Plus I think they both look good! :cool:
Now less than three weeks until Mayhem when this'll be getting a 'proper' outing!
My Tioga Disk will also hopefully be ready later this week so pics to follow with the 'Mayhem spec' setup!
:)

Re:

What was the idea of the e-stay? Any advantages?
I've been given an old steel Alpinestars e-stay frame and just spent the day sanding and rattle canning the frame into something semi presentable to use as a pub bike. I'm using it cos its different and hopefully a talking point with my bike buddies.
Just like to know why it was designed as such.

Re:

Ref^^

With the rear stays being elevated there a host benefits aside from looking cool.

1.Better mud clearance
2. Rear wheel is able to be move closer to the crank the shorter wheel base helps climbing
3. No chance of chain suck
4. You never need to break a chain when You want to remove and clean it.
5. It was very fashionable BTID and everyone wanted a bit of the action.

Hope this helps...

Re: Re:

Retro Spud":2vl6mfo8 said:
Ref^^

With the rear stays being elevated there a host benefits aside from looking cool.

1.Better mud clearance
2. Rear wheel is able to be move closer to the crank the shorter wheel base helps climbing
3. No chance of chain suck
4. You never need to break a chain when You want to remove and clean it.
5. It was very fashionable BTID and everyone wanted a bit of the action.

Hope this helps...
Ditto the above :D

Re:

Aye, makes sense, esp mud clearance. Cheers retrospud.
Although mine will be shod with slicks for road use, so mud won't be an issue. Hoping it rides well, but after some ale, all pub bikes ride well.

Edit just thought of another advantage, no fooking around with getting the correct length bottom bracket axle as there's no chainstay for the chainring to clear

Back