1992 Alpinestars Al Mega XT - update 13/06/16

Re: 1992 Alpinestars Al Mega XT

Yes bitd when Apinestar brought out the e-stay design alot of bikes had chainstay mounted brakes which was a real mare when racing in muddy conditions and that was the main reason most mountain bike racers wanted one plus they look really cool plus the unique design gave a much stiffer rear end giving a more instant response while pedaling which had to be a big plus :) ..

Nice choice of forks , stem and bars regan as they'll look a real treat when fitted mate ;) ..

Muddy paw":2dywkewg said:
Nice choice of forks , stem and bars regan as they'll look a real treat when fitted mate ;) ..
Cheers Ian
Loads of the parts on this build have come from my old bike - Maguras, saddle, post (well, the black one was), rear mech, now the forks and stem, so it's great to give them a new lease of life after sitting in boxes in the garage and attic for 20+ years :)

regan_ev":bi52l6qx said:
Muddy paw":bi52l6qx said:
Cheers Ian
Loads of the parts on this build have come from my old bike - Maguras, saddle, post (well, the black one was), rear mech, now the forks and stem, so it's great to give them a new lease of life after sitting in boxes in the garage and attic for 20+ years :)

Hi mate ,
Well it's gonna be a cracking build when you've finished and theirs always that great buzz you get when putting a bike together with good parts that have been hidden away for years just waiting to be put to use again but the most important thing is you'll get to enjoy them and taking parts off an old bike and putting them on another is a bit like saving them imo or maybe thats just me being a bit erm weird :roll: but yea! i'm really looking forward to seeing this one completed mate ;) ..

Rampage":bo926ty1 said:
lol @ "cracking build"
I'm still upset mine cracked on the first ride!

:)
I'm upset for you Chris. :(
I'm dreading the day this one gives up - I know it's inevitable. It had a relatively easy 14-miler today, barely hopped over a kerb and just cycle trails/cycle paths. I hope it stands up to a more rigorous ride - I guess Mayhem will be the ultimate test!
Today's easy trek...

Re: Re:

regan_ev":1j36i4r9 said:
Rampage":1j36i4r9 said:
I thought mine was amazing at a modern trail centre, junta shame that's the only ride it ever had!
:cry:

Yep!! it's a damn shame about yours Rampage :( :( as it is a very cool classic imvho but if it was possible would you consider having the stem secured with a sleeve although it wouldn't look the same but would be usable none the less ..

@ regan ,

Hi mate that looked like a great little ride out you had their mate although i'd not manage that climb myself atm but any way your bike looks great in the pics and i'll have me fingers crossed for you mate when you going to Mayhem ;) ..

Last set of spec changes prior to Mayhem, excluding the Tioga Disk - the build of which has hit a slight snag :facepalm: Should be done end of next week.
• RockShox Mag 20, 1 ¼" threaded steerer
• ATI shockboots
• Zoom aluminum stem, 1 ¼" quill, 135mm, 0°
• 94 spec Alpinestars 6061 Aluminum bluish-silver anodised bars
• Tioga Powerstuds6 barends, chapped down super-stubby style!
• NOS ODI Yeti Speed grips
• USE aluminum silver-ano seatpost, chopped down from 420mm to 330mm
• Shimano M535 SPDs - were NOS, taken off my Marin as the M737s have been nicked by the lady-friend :evil:

Disk Drive Comp 36H build FINALLY finished today, using NOS Mavic M231, NOS Deore XT FH-M732 hub, NOS Sugino hardware (hub nuts & bolts, special rim nipples and screws) and NOS HG90 12-28 cassette.
Built by Phil Jones at Rhondda Cycle Centre. Need to swap the cassette that's all (I took the bike up to fit the disk and 'test ride' it but forgot the NOS HG90 cassette so had to nick the HG70 off the other wheel. Pics are from outside RCC)
:cool:

Back