26.4 stem or 26.0 bars; French bottom bracket; racks

EPR

Old School Hero
Hey guys,

After a few bits and bobs to finish a touring build. Any help appreciated!

26.4 Stem or 26.0 handlebars
- Cinelli 1A/1E? 100mm stem
OR
- Cinelli 66-44 or similar (ITM, 3ttt, etc.) handlebars, 26.0 clamp - no grooves

French threaded BB
- To fit a Veloce triple crankset, so 115mm ISO axle (I think?)

Racks
- Lowrider for the front
- Something sturdy for the back

Show me what you've got please! Thanks :)

Re: French BB; 57mm callipers; 44, 26.0 bars; 7 freewheel; racks

Bump, still looking for everything

Would love some nutted Suntour Superbe 4700 callipers if anyone has a set. Condition can be cosmetically crummy, and no need of original pads.

Thanks!

Re: French Bottom Bracket; 44cm bars; campag chainrings; racks

Bump, have everything to get me going but in desperate need of a french bb now!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thanks for the advice!

Haha tell me about it, a month of trawling ebay has shown me that French Bottom Brackets are harder to find than I thought... Even ebay.fr has yielded little (even using 'axe de pedalier', 'jeu de pedalier', and 'pedalier 35', hasn't helped). Have thought about the VO one but it's too expensive for a bottom bracket, and I've heard that they can be a bit hit and miss (and don't want to risk having a 'miss' one considering that they're sealed). And the YST ones are meant to be really inconsistent too (thought that's just what angry people on the internet have said...)

Going to ring up an LBS that just opened up tomorrow, hopefully they'll be able to tap the threads out to Italian or even British.

Just going to have to wait and hope I guess! Thanks again for all the advice though, I really appreciate it.

What started off as an exciting build has started becoming extremely problematic - I guess that's half the fun though right? :)

I used the VO one in my sisters Mercier and its still going strong after 2 years of daily use.

You could have the shell helicoiled and re-tapped or even completely replaced by one of the frame builders/repairs
if there's not enough left in the French shell to accommodate the new threads.

Thanks guys. Great to hear about the VO, reckon I'll take the plunge on one of them from Pedal Pedlar in London if retapping doesn't work out...

Have spoken to a framebuilder near me (Tatts and Beards - just found out about them via a new LBS and they have some pretty cool stuff on their site), he's going to do a bit of research and get back to me about retapping. Will mention helicoiling when he calls back - thanks for the tip!

Re:

Can't be re-tapped,as Glorfingal says the shell is physically bigger,if the bike shop tells you otherwise never darken their door again. :LOL:
No problem with either the Velo or YST ones,I have had quite a few French bikes and used both with no problem.Keep the receipt and in the unlikely event it is not up to scratch get a refund.The biggest problem is the fixed cup will have a tendency to loosen up in use. The best prevention is to make sure it is really tight,and or Locktite thread adhesive.If you are close to Wembly and I am not up to my neck in knackered VW engines I can help you fit it,although I have lent out my French bottom bracket tap and most bike shops should be able to manage it.
Much cheaper to buy a new bottom bracket than have a new shell or the old one helicoiled.
I have had a few people thrilled with a gorgeous french frame picked up for peanuts only to end up in tears when they have to buy a new bottom bracket for it.The £35 quid Velo one is good value for money,should be fit and forget and last you years, similarly the YST one.
If I turn anything up in my spares box this weekend I'll keep you in mind.
Have you tried a wanted add. on the CTC website?
Good Luck

Back