2014 Mountain Mayhem dates 20th 21st 22nd June

Being RAF I was put to shame by one if my fellow 'competitive' RAF team riders who did spin his way to the top almost defying gravity much to the groans of everyone else who was pushing up at a snails pace...........I need to find out what he had as his pre race snack????

My son was racing last year... he was the 6 foot bloke sharing a tent with me. :mrgreen:

I will be there doing my normal amount of chilling in the intruder with a fully loaded fridge of booze. I think the ski's are still onboard. I will also do the slowest lap the drunkest due to the fact i do hold the current record, and also i hold the record for being awake the latest. I will also be doing my trackside assistance or impedance whichever.

I must get my Muddy fox collection together due to the fact i have done the whole klein collection thing.

thanks andy

I thought last year's course was okay. I managed to ride most of the first lap, pushed up the last steep climb with the polished limestone cobbles though.
When the torrential downpour hit on the second lap I was cursing everyone and anything, especially when someone crashed into me and damaged my bike. The rain made riding and slipping around slightly harder then pushing up some of the climbs.
The course did dry out alot, but not very well in the wooded sections, of which there were many.

The lack of spectators around the course made my ten laps a bit of a lonely experience, but I never really got bored with the course. Terrified perhaps by some of the mud slide descents, and a bit frustrated by how slippery the climbs were.
Perhaps my fully rigid period correct 93 Univega made things a little harder than they could've been, but 20 year old tyres on a 20 year old bike couldn't really be bettered for an experience.

I think the inclusion of trackside camping will be a vast improvement, and if the course took in a few less severe gradients it might be a bit more rideable and enjoyable.

Overall I'm glad that HRH has taken such positive view of the event and hopefully opened up a few more good sections to ride.

I didn't spend as much time in the Retrobike camp as I have in previous years, but when I was there I had a great time chatting and mostly laughing.
any123's late night chicken feast was great, but chaperoning him around a night lap whilst he was drunk could've been a sobering experience.
He quickly lost me on the first descent, but the tale he told after said lap was one of the funniest things I'd heard all year.

I'm looking forward to it.

Back