2001 Klein update(ish) and rear brake fettling and farkling

Unicron

Retro Newbie
Greetings

Just thought I'd drop this here for anyone it might be useful for. Had a few headscratchy moments over the years and some DIY bodgery.

th_20170419_181933_zpsajkfstns.jpg

I kept this old bird 'in era' for a long time but as stuff got worn out I replaced it for newer stuff as I still ride it regularly, although it doesn't have as hard a life as it used to! age and kids! thats my excuse! :? :facepalm: I just recently took off my hope C2's and replaced them with some older Shimano XTR as all the other bikes in the family are on mineral oil so I figured I'd save myself having 2 sets of service kit and go interchangeable with parts etc........

th_P5250052_zpsuszqmcz6.jpg

........anyway enough sentimental piffle.......I hope the trouble I went to getting the rear brake sorted helps out anyone else with a similar problem. Oh and despite being a bit DIY, the lack of external (or additional 'internal') routing caused a few problems with a dropper post, so for the amount it gets used I went 'local'......so to speak...

For all the WTF? and WHY?? brigade, to be honest I have never needed a dropper post and still don't really but have one on my Giant Anthem and discovered they are at their most useful for me when I'm out with the kids and bending down to give them a push if they get stopped on a climb. Dropping the seat a few inches just for a moment makes setting off one handed whilst giving the kids a shove soooooooo much easier!!

The rear caliper was a bit of a challenge as the older XTR one is the only one that will fit anywhere near close, and it MUST be an IS caliper as any adapter clashes with the frame. It needs to be for a 140mm rear disc or a 160mm front disc (same caliper) as the A2Z Hayes Adapter increases the disc size diameter of the caliper by 20mm (hence the 160 disc F &R). This is a LARGE frame so I'm not sure it would work on a smaller frame with less clearance around the chain/seat stays.

As you can see from the picture I have enough clearance from the frame for oooooooooo.....3 fag papers maybe! Unfortunately it is not a straight forward fit. I had to face the disc face of the hub down by about 2mm to get that clearance. I THINK from memory the DT240 Hugi hubs on the bike always were a little tighter on disc space so you may get away with it on other hubs, but don't quote me on that! As the wheel was already built I had to get my thinking cap on and basically ended up taking out the axle and freehub and using it and one of the freehub internal bearing/axle spacers (which fit perfectly buy luck) with a bottom bracket facing tool and got it set up onto the 6 bolt face of the hub and tediously face it down by hand (about 2 hrs and sore hands)
The facing tools diameter was a tiny bit smaller than the widest part of the 6 bolt pattern so had to nick the tiny ridges off that were left with a file.

I also made the mistake of ordering a hose for the caliper which didn't come with a banjo bolt so I made one of those out of a stainless cap head on my mini lathe and milling machine :cry: out of shear stubbornness rather than waiting for the £6 Goodridge one to arrive in the post because I wanted to test it on a ride and give it a shakedown.......It's still on and working fine :facepalm: :mrgreen:

The seatpost bodge is just a bit of old handle bar clamped in place with a bit of old USE seatpost rail clamp.......they had to be good for something in this world!! :mrgreen: :roll:

Anyway hope it helps at least someone trawling endlessly for info if they are stuck with one of these awkward little disc mounts.

Back