140.9 KB · Views: 642
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 642
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 642
Re:

Took her out for a 14 mile ride today. Man what a difference over my Chameleon. This bike climbs like a goat and handles DH amazingly. Really love this ride.

Attachments

• q.jpg
    q.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 622
  • qq.jpg
    qq.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 622
  • qqq.jpg
    qqq.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 622
Nice, very nice.

I'm a Chameleon man (been riding the same one for 8 years now), SS, a '98 frame and my favourite MTB of all the 25 or so I've had in 26 odd years. I had a Cove Handjob and Surly 1x1 before that, both great frames too.

Would be interested to hear more on your thoughts of the Cove vs Chameleon as I cannot fault mine and would have thought they handled in a similar way?

To be fair to my Chameleon it's set up SS with a 36 front ring. Better suited for urban ripping right now. It's a bit more twitchy or quicker handling then the Cove. I need to put a smaller ring on it and thinner tires. I really want a capable SS bike for XC. I love both and have always wanted to have both. I will say this Chameleon and my old 98 are the best bunny hopping bikes. So popping.

I know that bike. I saved the photo of it rigid awhile ago for a future build example. How do you like it rigid?

Prefer it sprung! Rigid is fine on smooth stuff but getting older and more beaten up a few years back the Foxs were a revelation. Main tip I'd say with these sort of frames is to fit 2.4's, really suit the bike well.

Re:

Hey Max. What SS gear ratio are you using? Mines set up for street use but thinking of changing it around for long climbs.

For offroad use I always use something equating to gear inches around 53-54, slightly higher than the typical 2:1. So on the Chameleon as I used a classic Campag crank and 39/19 (53.37) was perfect - odd teeth which I believe lessens wear and larger rings which again makes for a smoother, longer lasting drivetrain with more chain wrap. Most people go for 32/16 but unless you really want the chainring clearance a larger set up is better so 36/18 etc. I've just fitted a 104mm crank so am looking at 37/18 (53.44) or 39/19 again or may go up very slightly to 40/19 which is the equivalent of going up 1/2 a gear on a cassette and equates to 54.74.

All depends on your personal terrain but 2:1 is the starting point offroad but for street use only look at 2.5:1 upwards.

I use to always run 32:16. Right now 36:16. Locally long steep fire roads are the norm. Might try like a 30-32 to 16. Really want a climber. Thanks for the info on your setup.

Back