2000 Kona Kula-Cone: U.K. e-Bay

Pipmeister

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This is slightly curious. At first glance this appears to be a listing for a 2000 Cinder Cone. The colour and some Decals look the same, but after that, it seems to be another model.

2000 Kona Kula-Cone:
2000 Cinder Cone 18 Kula by Philip Mock, on Flickr

The Top Tube, Down Tube and Seat Tube Decals are the correct Glow in the Dark version, but the Head Tube Decal is the 1998 to 1999 Jungle “K” with Kona underneath – the 2000 has an Oval G.i.t.D.

2000 Cinder Cone:
2000 Cinder Cone 19 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

The Cable Stops are from 1997, which was also the last year that all the Aluminium frames had an integral Gear Hanger - like the bike for sale has.

The Dropouts seem to be from the Kula that year – note the smooth transition to the Stays. The 1997 Muni Mula & Koa have visible TIG welding at that junction, so that rules them out.

1997 Kula:
1997 Kula Dropouts by Philip Mock, on Flickr

2000 Kona Kula-Cone:
2000 Cinder Cone 18 Kula_2 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

The 2000 Aluminium Cinder Cone has entirely different Drop Outs with the “H” code Hanger and Disc Tabs. It also has all Top Tube Cable Routing and a Gusset on the Down Tube at the Head Tube junction.

2000 Cinder Cone:
2000 Cinder Cone 19_5 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

2000 Kona Kula-Cone:
2000 Cinder Cone 18 Kula_4 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

I have examples on file of the Custom range using previous year’s model for a later year’s sale, but I think this is the first time I have seen a production bike from three years earlier, and a different frame used!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kona-Cinderc ... %7Ciid%3A1

Overall, it doesn't really matter if it is a 1997 Kula, as the buyer would be getting a bike made from slightly better quality Easton ProGram Elite Aluminium, from that used on a 2000 Cinder Cone - quite cool though :cool: .

Pip

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I did see this but never thought to examine it any closer for hidden details :)

Could it be an older kula that lost its decals and someone replaced them with the only ones left in stock, or they maybe thought it was a CC so put those on.

mk one":ritkoju5 said:
I did see this but never thought to examine it any closer for hidden details :)

Could it be an older kula that lost its decals and someone replaced them with the only ones left in stock, or they maybe thought it was a CC so put those on.
If you mean it could be a frame that was already painted, and then the Decals were applied later, then the 1996 Kula is a similar colour to the bike for sale, but with single Rear Brake Stops front and rear on the Top Tube, and the Drop Outs are slightly different.

The 1997 Kula fits all of the criteria for Cable Stops, Dropouts and Gear Hanger, but that is the beautiful "Bomber Red" colour. The Dropouts on the one for sale are identical to the 1997 Kula, even down to the Thumbs Up stamp, which I can see on my downloaded jpg picture, but it has been somewhat lost on the Flickr image in my post.

The 1998 Kula and later all have a replaceable Gear Hanger, Top Tube Cable Routing, flared reinforce Head Tube, as well as Gusset from 1999 onwards.

I think that the one for sale is the correct colour for a 2000 Cinder Cone, which is called Mr. Lew's Gold :? . No, I don't know where they got that from!

Pip

Attachments

• 1996 Kula 18.JPG
    1996 Kula 18.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 914
Yes did look at the '96 but loads of differences as you say. The colour is not quite right either.

I agree that it is a '97 frame, i just find it strange that Kona would match different year decals on the same frame. In '97 were they still using different colours for different markets as with earlier years frames?

mk one":3hchuo8e said:
Yes did look at the '96 but loads of differences as you say. The colour is not quite right either.

I agree that it is a '97 frame, i just find it strange that Kona would match different year decals on the same frame. In '97 were they still using different colours for different markets as with earlier years frames?
The newest catalogue that I have on file with a different colour spec is the 1994 U.S., which does differ from the U.K. colours. Apart from that, I do know that the 1995 Kilauea was a different colour in Europe (Spain?) - Yellow rather than Pearl White, and the 1996 Explosif was Yellow rather than Olive Green. I only have the one version of the 1997 catalogue however, so no colour differences AFAIK.

The Cinder Cone was DB CroMo Steel in 1997, and retained that spec for 1998. In 1999 it went to Generic Aluminium for the first time, but it had different Dropouts and a different Gear Hanger (code "D") from the 2000 Cinder Cone.

I did try to get the serial number from the seller as that would reveal when it was made, but rather oddly, I got this from e-Bay when I tried to send a message :?

"We couldn't find an answer. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of messages this seller has received, they are unable to respond to your question right now. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing."

As you say Mark, it is odd, although I find it quite interesting. As I mentioned earlier, I do have examples of the Custom range where a later livery was put on an earlier frame - although obviously not across a different model :) .

Pip

Back