2000 Kona King Kahuna – do they exist?

Pipmeister

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm still holding out for a 2000 Kona King Kahuna!

Some of you may have noticed that on the Kona Titanium Serial Number List, there is a blank space under the entry for the 2000 King Kahuna! Never seen one; zilch; bugger all :!:

I’m hoping that the situation with the 2000 King Kahuna turns out to be the same as the elusive 1997 Caldera, or the 1997 Kapu, or the 1998 Ku, in that it did come to pass those three models do actually exist.

It would appear however that the 2000 King Kahuna does currently share the same “catalogue only” mythical status as the 1996 For (Fore?) Play - which I understand if that bouncer was ever actually made, it was only produced as a one (few) off for the Trade Shows.

Pip.

Re:

Hello pip hope your well...
Found this review of a king kahuna frame posted in 2000 mentions disk tabs being retrofitted but also being his first ride of it.
https://www.mtbr.com/product/bikes/fram ... ahuna.html

Apr 03, 2000]
brian smart

OVERALL
RATING 5 ★★★★★
★★★★★
VALUE
RATING 5 ★★★★★
★★★★★
STRENGTH:
US Sandvik TI, custom draw, gussets, great welds, beefy.

WEAKNESS:
haven't found one yet and I've checked Moots, Seven, Merlin, proto-hype Yeti at interbike, Ibis.

Some of the Kings are being retrofitted for disk tabs, mine is one of them. Tasty 17" frame fits so nice, did my first test ride tonight and the Ti combined with the Next LP there is NO flex at all, if your legs have power it's all transfered. I've looked long and hard at Ti frames. Like I said, I checked them all in Interbike, Moots, Merlin, Seven, Ibis, and Yeti. The King may not be the lighest, but I didn't buy it for that. Bought it because it's just as clean as all the boutique, trust funders only, but less $$$$. I'm most certainly not second guessing my choice. The boys at Kona has a nice little secret.

Similar Products Used:
First and last Ti bike

May well of been a 1999 but thought I’d post it

Kyle

Re:

Hi Kyle, I'm fine cheers.

Thank you for the link - I reckon that you are correct in that this is probably a 1999 frame with an aftermarket Retrofitted Disc Tab.

The 2000 Catalogue shows a Disc Tab on the King Kahuna, and on the Score.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 4.JPG.html

Meanwhile, I am getting to the stage where I may contact Kona Tech, but before anyone suggests that I do, here is a point to consider that I recently wrote to another RB member, but is pertinent to anyone reading this post:

"The main two guys that I have e-mailed over the years have been there a long time. One of them in particular was working on the Custom Frame program back in the day. He has told me that they have had so many System upgrades, that he is relying on his memory to answer my questions. I have had inaccurate replies to some of those questions in the past. We have to consider however that these guys do have a daytime job selling new bikes; they are answering our questions as and when they have a moment between jobs. They will obviously have an interest in the particular years that we are drawn to, but I would say that "we" on Retrobike sometimes have better resources and documentation - like searching posts from Anthony!

Kona have made a lot of bike models since the 90's, and we could be expecting too much of the staff there to pluck information from their memory on a random model from a particular year. I am also reluctant to keep bothering them unless it is a last resort."

Anyway, I may yet send a message to them if no 2000 King Kahuna frames appear as a result of this thread!

Pip

Am sure someone on here has one with disc tabs, if that's the mark of a 2000? Was posted in the post 98 section a few years back.

haggis":3tpdtkh6 said:
Yeah ok scrub that. Appears I was wrong.
You are correct in saying that someone added a post stating that they owned a 2000 King Kahuna, and they wrote in good faith.

However, with Down Tube Rear Mech cable routing and Serial Number K19041, the bike in question is an early 1997. Kona altered the 1997 KK to all Top Tube routing mid season around the mid to late 60's serial number. This bike is documented in my Kona Titanium Frame Serial Number list among the other 1997 frames that I have on file.

I have seen other members on this site who assume that they own or have owned a 2000 King Kahuna, although these are frames are the 1999 model. It may be the case that I will need to add a full explanation detailing the difference between the two years 1999 and 2000. You are also correct saying that the 2000 KK would have a Disc tab, which was standard for its' big brother the Score, and most of the other models in the 2000 range. Many Kona Titanium frames have had an aftermarket Retrofitted Disc Tab, which adds to the confusion.

Pip

Re:

I have a review of a King Kahuna printed in What Mountain Bike (Summer 2000) along with a very nice Ritchey P20. I will try and post it up so they do exist.

Re: Re:

pebble":21wkca4l said:
I have a review of a King Kahuna printed in What Mountain Bike (Summer 2000) along with a very nice Ritchey P20. I will try and post it up so they do exist.
At last, maybe an actual picture of one! :D . I'll send you a Private Message with my e-mail address, if that makes it easier to send a scan or whatever.

Pip

Back