1st ride in 2 years

computerbitz

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So today is my daughters sports day and she forgot her PE Kit so i decided to fly over on the bike and drop it off, left her school and thought why go home its nice out and found myself heading to the Liverpool loopline a former railway line that is now a sustrans route.

Now i haven't ridden in so long as I have an ankle issue and need to wear a ankle brace and thought i would just take it easy a chilled trek maybe a mile or two.

Ended in a 12-14mile round trip and i had to buy a crappy pair of BMX Flats from Halfords to swap my pedals as the ones i had on turned out to be no good with the brace I wear only had a fraction of my foot on the pedals while I was riding. I did try to go to a place called Hunts cross cycles, when I got to where he used to be located its now a tanning shop was only in it a few weeks ago looking at some bits and had no idea he was shutting down.

So flats fitted in Halfords and they are so much better for my brace as I have a larger surface area for my foot now with it on.

Though that is not the end of it I also found that i no longer feel comfortable with the stem fitted to the bike not sure if my riding position is different with brace but I think i need a shorter stem and maybe a slight rise on it as well

The fitted stem is a monster its a 7" length, when i first got the bike I had no issues with it but just doesn't feel right any more.

Not sure if they did a stem in a shorter length but I doubt that if they did I can get one in this style with a rise

So looking for ideas that will no doubt lead to what people have got needs to be 1" and happy to swap should anyone suggest something that might suit should they require a beast of a stem after all you might have arms like a monkey :LOL:

Attachments

• 2014-07-15 14.21.18.jpg
    2014-07-15 14.21.18.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 742
  • 2014-07-15 14.23.10.jpg
    2014-07-15 14.23.10.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 742
  • 2014-07-15 14.23.05.jpg
    2014-07-15 14.23.05.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 742
  • 2014-07-15 14.24.02.jpg
    2014-07-15 14.24.02.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 742
  • 2014-07-15 14.25.04.jpg
    2014-07-15 14.25.04.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 742
:LOL: Hmm, it's not a stem but a tiller.

1" MTB quill stems are not so easy to find, the simplest way is to get a stem ahead converter, which will allow you to fit a 1 1/8" ahead stem in a huge choice of lengths and angles.

Re:

Looks like around 5" center to center, which isn't that excessively long really. BITD quite a few bikes came with stems that were 1/2" or 1" longer.
Still, if you feel that you're too stretched on the bike, you'll either need to move the saddle forward or get a shorter stem.

Re:

REKI, Hamster :LOL:, I would try the barge place on the docks but I worry he would drop one them heavy things on me and nick it for parts.

Coomber, I aint sure no cant find my callipers to measure I was always under the illusion they was 1" but i maybe wrong no markings on it to see had it out earlier to see.

Raging seats already forward, and not stretched just feels odd might be just because i haven't used in so long with my gammy leg issue. I was thinking if I had to fit a threaded to ahead adapter might see what I am like after a few more runs on it plan on getting out each day the next few day for a daily run on it to start getting used to it again.

Re:

Fair play, you covered a fair distance there! I was climbing up the walls with frustration and itching to ride after just 2 weeks following a dislocated knee, I remember feeling a bit concerned that I would damage it again when back on the bike but everything worked out fine. Goodness knows how you felt after 2 years..

Those Saracen stems were pretty long and flat but the headset looks like a Tioga Avenger Oversize unit so I'm 95% sure it's 1 1/8". There should be a fair few stems to choose from with a bit more rise and less length. Good luck with it all :)

Re:

It wasn't to bad as i lent the bike to a mate for a while and stayed away from anything bike related, hence why I aint been on site in a while. I am suprised i was able to use it tbh, as i haven't had any ops on my ankle just of late its felt a bit better with the fish oil stuff i been taking for it and its been less clicky. Started to use the rowing machine a month ago and had no pain a little swelling from time to time, but its always like that anyway with having to wear the brace. I went out on it other day and felt fine but that was just literally around the block to see how it felt using it.

Such a short distance and I felt fine with the pedals and the brace but for today's journey I was feeling it using the ones that was fitted was no good though the cheap flats on the return journey made a hell of a difference

Re:

Oh and yeah your right it is a Tioga Oversize Avenger and looking they are only 1 1/8 so you are more then likely right i just assumed with the ageof it that it was 1" as they say never assume makes choices easier then if i decide to change

Latest posts

Back