1999 Stumpjumper M2 build thread

shedobits

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Having bought the frame from Double-EF and the forks from Slackboy I decided to build this up as a retromod ride for the miles and miles of gravel roads around here. The plan was to have it completed for today as my Christmas pressy, but the last few parts are still in the hands of the carriers.

It will be a 1 X 10 tubeless build with carbon wherever I can use it. Initially it will use spares already in the cave topped up with parts bought from my LBS and the rest bought on the internet.

I started by cleaning and T cutting the fame with lots of pictures now that Retrobucket is available again. At his stage my camera died taking the pictures with it so I only have a couple of shots taken today on my 'phone.

Parts List:

Frame - 1999 Stumpjumper Comp
Forks - Exotic
Wheels - Mavic Cross lane (disk or rim brake & UST)
Front Tyre - Micheline Race R 26x2.1
Rear Tyre - Schwalbe Rocket Ron 26x2.1
Headset - Race Face Thermo SP
Chainset - XTR 960 (Doctored)
Rear Mech - Zee
Cassette - 10 speed XT plus Kore 40T expander
Shifter - Zee
Chain XT
Front Brake - Magura Julie (temporary)
Rear Brake - Avid 2.0
Seat Pin - Bontrager (temporary)
Stem - Bontrager Nuke proof Warhead
Bars - TBA Nuke Proof Warhead
Saddle - San Marco knock off, very comfortable
Peddles - V8 (temporary)

It should be ready for its first ride by the end of the week and better pics to follow.

Re:

Had it's first shakedown ride yesterday so I didn't venture too far from home and only have a couple of photos taken during a scoff stop plus some more today.
Very pleased with what is my first Specialized, it lives up to its reputation as a lite and fast climber. It has a wider than expected turning circle but this may be due to it having a fork with a longer A to C than standard.
I'd tried 2 sets of bars and three stems before leaving and settled on a 710 X 60mm combo but I'm finding this a bit cramped so not done yet.
After being out for 3 hours I had one dropped chain and the seatpost had slipped in its shim, so one for the correct size in on the wish list.
The braking is excellent but I can't seem to settle on the mismatched Disk / V brake combination especially as I have a spare V brake in the cave. Heart says Vs head says leave it as it is.
Any way here's some pics with more to follow once I've ridden some more.

Re:

Great to see this built again: it looks the bomb!
Seems well equipped for the territory you ride in.
Enjoy :cool:

Re:

Many thanks, a great way to start the new year. It was going to be a weenie build but I lost patience and built it with what I had. I'm taking it to the LBS Friday to use their scales. I plan to fit carbon bars and seatpin plus some magnesium peddes, altogether I calculate they should save about 400Gms off an already lite bike.

Back