1999 Orange Evo2 - The RetroMod

impspeed

Dirt Disciple
It all started again around 6 months ago, with a wedding looming and expanding waistline, where I really needed to drop a few pounds and shave a few inches.

To roll back, and add some context, I live in Dubai, UAE. I work ruddy hard and have very little time for exercise but decided I needed to make time. I always enjoyed cycling and the government are doing a lot of work on cycle tracks out in the desert, away from the nutters on the road, so decided this was the way forward.

Having been away from cycling for about 8 years (My bike has sat in the garage) I started to look at new kit but couldn't believe how expensive it all was! They seem to add about 20% on to UK prices in Dubai and everything was way out of my allocated budget of £500!

Anyway, so back on to this project. Rather than waste a load of money buying relative junk for £500 I decided a rebuild on my Evo2 was in order. A small stumbling block was that my mum had started riding it when I also started riding, so I borrowed my dads 1996 Nickel P7 until my mum got inevitably bored.

Over the past few months I've picked up new bits and pieces from these very forums and eBay so essentially when it's done it will be a brand new bike bar the frame and saddle.

Now, I'm back in the UK for my wedding, and stripped the frame ready for some plastic surgery. First up will be a soda blast, removing of the rear brake bosses and spray in a new colour.

I'll get some photos of the bike, pre-blast, and update the thread as I'm going.

Current Spec:

Pretty much standard 1999 Evo2 Spec
- XT Fr/Rr Mech
- XT Shifters
- LX Crank
- Avid V-Brakes
- Pace RC36 Evo2 (for same very soon)
- WTB wheels/Ritchey Hubs
- Funn stumpy stem

So the strip down is complete. Frame is ready for soda blasting and painting when I get back to Dubai.

Got pretty much all the bits I need with the exception of forks and new bars.

10251990_767707113273833_7836573357040771111_n.jpg

1496656_767707216607156_4942506806728778892_n.jpg

I like where this is going. The only thing I would comment on, if sometime later you decided to sell it then having the brake bosses removed would effect it's retro value. Outside of the retro scene it wouldn't make much difference as long as you have brakes that work .

Do you have a colour in mind for a repaint ?

I did think about that, but decided the frame would probably be worth £70 with brake bosses and £50 without. Not a huge issue as it's likely to hang up in the garage when it's rebuilt in a few years time.

Paint job; white.

Re:

The bike is finally here in Dubai with me, together with nearly all the bits.

Having purchased a set of Pace RC40 XCAM "Factory" forks from Tim, I'm a bit concerned that even set to 100mm (they're 100-130mm) it might affect the geometry a bit too much, so I'm taken a punt on some Exotic Carbon rigid forks in 420mm set up to replicate original - they should be with me in a fortnight.

The bike was dropped off with the blaster today, will be finished tomorrow and then painted by Wednesday next week. All being well the build will start, but just waiting for front forks to arrive.

Here's a pre-blast picture.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,222
slope":k1cceo70 said:
I don't know, that paint looks good to me??

The paint is in good shape, few chips and scratches but overall good. I just fancy and change. Instead of buying something new, I've probably ended up spending the same amount on new/NOS bits to redo this and decided a new paint job would set it off nicely as a "new" bike.

When you live in Dubai, it's easy to get stuff sandblasted - simply leave it outdoors for a couple of days and this happened ;-)

In all seriousness, fresh back from blasting and already in the paint shop. The guys accidentally soda blasted even though I opted for the cheaper media blasting, so I'm not going to complain.

Should be painted by the end of this week then will start the build. Off to Sri Lanka for a couple of weeks so will hopefully be finished mid-July when I return.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,149
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,149
Back from the paint shop - a lovely pearl white which just pops under the sun!

So now the parts have pretty much all been sourced I can finally start with the build.

Specification as it stands will be;

- XTR 970 Front, rear mechs and shifters
- Hope Mono Mini disc set up
- Funn Stumpy stem (may be changed)
- Orange Supercross bars (may be changed)
- Raceface seat post
- Charge saddle
- Mavic X717 rims on Hope Pro hubs
- Hope headset, bottom bracket (for when I get new cranks) and seat clamp

Now the predicament.

I have bought some Pace RC40 Factory forks from Tim/English Fork, in as new condition, but not sure if they're too long. 100mm up to 130mm but may be a waste. I've bought some carbon Exotic rigid forks which I'll fit and see how I get on - just another excuse to pick up another project to use the RC40s.

All being well, should be finished in the next few days.

Still on the shopping list;

- Change of stem and bars - more carbon for the bars
- Middleburn RS8 Triples

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 1,086
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,084
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 1,084
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,085
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,085
i may be wrong - feel free to shoot me down as i have little experience with those raceface seat posts, but i think it's the wrong way round, or at least the saddle is..?

Back