1999 Kona Stinky Restoration Completed!!!!

Re: 1999 Kona Stinky restoration for the sake of nostalgia!

Yes Gil is excellent - used him several times for decals. Looking forward to the updates.

Good to see you are making progress. This might be my most anticipated project that I'm following on the forum.

Ok small update. Progress is slow on this but that was the plan really!

I've dropped the swingarm parts in to be powdercoated now. As the rocker links are originally anodized which gives a satin finish, I'm having them powdered coated in a 30% satin black and the seat and chainstays in gloss black to try and keep it looking original ish.

There is a problem with painting the main frame however. Apparently you can't powder coat two different colours onto one object as the masking melts in the oven. So to keep the original colours of black headtube and red frame I'm going to have to have the whole frame powdercoated red and then have the headtube either wet sprayed or dipped in black.

Very cool, I'm looking forward to seeing this finished!

You can powder as many colours as you want, but it takes great skill to do this. There is a special masking tape that isn't affected by the heat. Your average industrial powder coater won't be interested in learning these skills, as they're not the 'skills that pay the bills'.

I'm too watching this, I had a stinky-5 bitd.

Re:

this is looking a good project.

How have the decals turned out? any chance of a pic as needing some myself in this style.

Re:

So I've got the swing arm back from the powder coating shop. Very pleased with the results. The finish is excellent.

As you can see I've rebuilt the swing arm using brand new bushes, bolts and bearings throughout. Also fitted a new mech hanger and bolt. Note the gloss swing arm and satin rocker links to keep it looking as original as possible. I've even put some new v brake bosses back on!

Back