1999 Kona Stinky Restoration Completed!!!!

Re: 1999 Kona Stinky restoration for the sake of nostalgia!

Do you have any contact details for Gil m Mindmap3? I can't seem to work out how to search for members on here! There is a lot written about him though.

No worries, I'll PM you his email address.

...as a proud Stinky rider i'm pulling up a chair if you don't mind... :D

Looking good, are you going keep original colours or change them, handy krona still do bearing kit etc for bike,, all best for build feller

Re:

Keeping the colour scheme as close to original as possible. I've been in contact with Gil_m in reference to some decals and he has been very helpful. I hope to have some made by this time next week! Pics to follow.

So another small update. The rear shock looks like this:

Once the spring is removed it looks like this:

On closer inspection it is seems as if the spring has not been seated properly and has been rubbing on the shock which is a shame!

I have managed to find another Fox Vanilla R shock to replace this. Its the oldest one i could find although it has newer stickers and a different lower spring seat, probably to stop the spring moving and rubbing on the shock body like the old one! I bought it for £22 quid but it does need a service. You can see the difference in condition compare to the old one.

Re:

Any updates? Just bagged a tiny Stinky myself (2003 so a little newer though) so am watching with interest.

I have one of those older Fox Van shocks on my Cove Hooker which I picked up very cheaply on ebay. Desperately in need of a service as it has a very clunky rebound but aside from that it works great - so much more plush than the Float it replaced - I love coil shocks.

Progress has been somewhat halted by me buying another house and needing all the money I can get for that! But I do have some decals for it now which look awesome. Made by Gil at retro decals. He is a very helpful and a useful guy to know!

Back