1999 Cannondale CAAD 3 Martyn Ashton Team Volvo

Re:

It's no fatbike, but it'll do.
State of emergency here in New York, blizzard conditions all day. All non-emergency vehicles are banned from the roads until further notice.

23937778414_7167550854_h.jpg

Re:

Fairplay that's really nice! Great photos too.

How do you find the 1x10 with a 32t front? I tried 1x9 with a 32t front and found i was spinning out alot.

Kyle

32T front ring is ideal for the mixed-use I'm giving this - I have a 36T waiting in reserve, but I don't see it going on any time soon.

Tyres are fantastic - I didn't expect hard biting snow/ice grip, I was chasing more of a fatbike-lite feel, which is what this has.
The tread sheds snow really easily, I can run nice low pressure and the wheels still feel nice and light, quick to spin up and tons of grip under braking.
Most importantly, they feel fast on tarmac.

Great to see someone enjoying this frame so much while I'm still collecting the bits to build mine up:

I think yours is a slightly newer 'Team Volvo' model - same CAAD2 frame but slightly different decals & the newer 'C' logo (used from 2000 onwards).

That looks ace - I was always a bit miffed that mine didn't have Martyn's name or signature on it anywhere!
Which fork comes with your CAAD 2?

Re:

It's far from perfect condition but I'm excited to have it anyway. Ashton frames originally sold with a P Bone fork although the frame you have came with a Fatty R. There's a guy on trials-forum with one built up as an xc/commuter.

I have a fork in the works..just needs spraying up.

Edit: I meant to add, if you really wanted the signature it's always possible! I started recreating the graphics as I was considering a respray:

This bike has been fun as hell these past few months, but despite installing a clutched RD, it occasionally throws the chain (outwards) when shifting into the smallest cog on the cassette.
So I looked into getting a Narrow-Wide chainring, and found that pretty much the only option for 94bcd Turbines was this chainring from Wolf Tooth.

Screen%20shot%202016-05-19%20at%2021.57.19_zpsehpvhqkv.png

It's a lovely chainring, the quality seems stellar. However, upon installation there was an issue;
The four threaded holes accept the male portion of the 6mm bolts just fine, and slip snugly into the chainset.
The fifth non-threaded hole is too small to fit the female (nut) half of the chainring bolt through, and if I reverse it and insert through the front, Wolf Tooth's shallowest 6mm bolt doesn't get far enough in to tighten up.
So I found a workaround for this issue - it involves using:
1 6mm Chainring nut
1 10mm Chainring bolt
1 spacer
It looks a bit shit, but I'm more comfortable using this workaround than potentially having to drill out a precision component.

27104082636_445441cf77_b.jpg

26531814564_0df338de25_b.jpg

27137687945_68b50f9de7_b.jpg

Back