1999 Cannondale CAAD 3 Martyn Ashton Team Volvo

Chainset's here, along with some new Wolf Tooth bolts. This is fun!

21596712354_ccd63d6524_b.jpg

Re:

Lovely frame! Are hou using it for trials? cause you'll need a 22t cog and bash ring not a 32t middle ring.

Not using it for Trials, never have done. It's not really the right geo for that anyway, despite being sold under Martyn's name.
I believe it shares much of its geo with certain M900 Beast of the East models, which is highly appropriate as it's going to be used on the East Coast of the United States!
Building it as a non-serious 1x10 snow/winter commute bike. I just wanted something with gears to compliment my Pompino through the long harsh winter here.

My Cannondale build takes one more step forward. Mavic 217CD to Deore Centrelocks with Wheelsmith DB14 spokes and black brass nipples.

22482357169_90d6612443_b.jpg

More parts! Gone slightly modern on the drivetrain here, the bike's been a 1x since day one, but I've brought it up to date with a clutched RD to aid chain retention and a much wider 10spd cassette.

22966661755_63fe0575c5_b.jpg

Build news;
- Tyres + tubes selected, ordered, received and installed; Continental Race King ProTection 26x2.2 + Continental MTB Light tubes
- Derailleur hanger checked and realigned
- Shimano XT CS-771 11-36T 10-speed cassette installed
- Shimano BB-UN55 68x107mm square-taper bb installed
- Chainline measured
- Race Face Turbine LP yellow chainset installed
- Volvo-Cannondale cycling cap found in storage!

22656526627_a516764715_b.jpg

Later this week I hope to cable up the gears, and the brakes should also arrive very soon.
Pictures will be taken.

The handlebars are here. Can't show you them just yet, but they arrived in the biggest Thomson bag I've ever seen.

Brakes are also here. I deliberated long and hard about whether to go full hydraulic (fork has a disc tab, frame doesn't, so it'd have to either be HS33s front and rear or Disc front with HS33 rear, aka a 'Mullet').

In the end I decided 'light is right' and that I'd already spent way too much money on this bloody thing, so I plumped for these beautiful new Vs from TRP. They're Forged/CNC Alloy with Titanium hardware. Pretty fecking light too.

22823859200_7fdcac22cc_b.jpg

Back