1998 Kona Hot

Re:

Thank you gentlemen.

One of my concerns for a long time now on this forum is that I need to (trying to choose my words carefully here) explain or justify why I personally prefer to fit components that were manufactured later than the frame to which they are attached – there I can’t un-say it now :oops: . Poor al-onestare got the full brunt of my ramblings on the subject in a private e-mail last month – to which he carefully and gracefully replied with appreciative and thought-provoking comments :) .

Anyway, as for the weight; I posted on Saturday 11th March that the Hot frame is 1,950 grams.

BTW, this was done on our very accurate and calibrated scales at work. These scales are for weighing and counting tiny electrical components, and mechanical fixings. I would suggest that some weights quoted on this site may not be as accurate if done on some kitchen scales, or even less accurate, the bathroom scales. I have also read that manufacturer’s quoted weight is often either for the smaller sized frame, or even more alarmingly, with no paint on the frame :shock: .

I’m sorry that I don’t have a weight for the finished bike, and to support the explanation stated above, I did jump on my bathroom scales with, and then without the bike a number of times and with various other bikes. The results were all over the place, so I abandoned that idea, even for a ball park figure.

I can say that the Hei Hei frame weighs 1,660 grams, but I didn’t have the opportunity to weigh the Ku as I never had it stripped entirely of components. I would suggest that the Ku is close to my 2003 Kula Primo, which comes in at 1,350 grams.

I will still attempt to get a better picture of the violet and gold sparkle in the paint, but I need to sun to shine here on West Berkshire – which currently, it is not.

Just one more picture for now then – the flight deck.

98%20Hot%20Flightdeck_zpsxvwhsa14.jpg

Pip.

Re:

Looks ace!
Agree on the somewhat dubious quoting if weights... mine was measured on our calibrated paint mixing scales at work... accurate to 0.5g

Incidentally, I took before and after stripping the paint weights... well, less paint on mine and more thin powder coat. Difference was about 20g from memory

I know that there are tons of oddities surrounding the whole Hot Saga. But I was curious if anyone else has a 98 Hot that is a full 853 build w/o the rack eyelets in the seat stays. It seems all the ones I've seen posted here have the rack eyes. Mine does not.

And Damn Pip I like the build on your new Hot! Seems spec'd appropriately to me if you are riding the piss out of it.

unkleGsif":38vu3il2 said:
Looks ace!
Agree on the somewhat dubious quoting if weights... mine was measured on our calibrated paint mixing scales at work... accurate to 0.5g

Incidentally, I took before and after stripping the paint weights... well, less paint on mine and more thin powder coat. Difference was about 20g from memory

I stripped a 1997 Muni Mula of its tatty paint in 2011. The before and after difference was considerably higher at 94 grams. :?

ryanmtnman":38vu3il2 said:
I know that there are tons of oddities surrounding the whole Hot Saga. But I was curious if anyone else has a 98 Hot that is a full 853 build w/o the rack eyelets in the seat stays. It seems all the ones I've seen posted here have the rack eyes. Mine does not.

And Damn Pip I like the build on your new Hot! Seems spec'd appropriately to me if you are riding the piss out of it.

Once again Ryan, thanks for your interest in this. The only other 1998 Hot(s) that I have seen on here without rack eyelets are in this thread from 2011/2.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=152426&start=0

It is an interesting read, mainly because of the comments from the very well informed Anthony, now sadly M.I.A.

Pip.

Pip, they're your bikes, hang what the hell you like off them. I've got a very slow burn 1996 Explosif build that's going to end up with 1x11 SRAM XX1, Race Face Next and Hope stuff hanging off it. It's not even remotely period correct but it's what I like to ride and it'll look awesome when it's built up. It's all in the spirit of how the bikes were designed so what the hell.

I'm f***ed if I'm putting riser bars on it though. Those are the work of Satan himself.

Also, you have the most epic Kona collection I've ever seen.

Adam_S":3fu0q5om said:
......I'm f***ed if I'm putting riser bars on it though. Those are the work of Satan himself.

Cheers Adam,

:LOL: :LOL: , that does make me chuckle.

The thing is with my risers, I’m not needing to win a race every time I swing a leg over my bikes, and I am nearly 60 years old now :shock: :shock: , so I need a little bit of ‘comfort’ ;) .

Having said that, The Hei Hei has flats, my 1993 Kilauea has flats and slightly off kilter from the rest of my stable, the Scapin Kyoto has flats – so I’m not entirely in league with Satan :LOL: :LOL: .

Pip.

Re:

Pip - that link to the old 98 Black Hot nails exactly mine. No chain-stay brace and no seat stay rack eyelets. Thanks for the redirection.

Adam_S":1xneo3bn said:
Pip, they're your bikes, hang what the hell you like off them. I've got a very slow burn 1996 Explosif build that's going to end up with 1x11 SRAM XX1, Race Face Next and Hope stuff hanging off it. It's not even remotely period correct but it's what I like to ride and it'll look awesome when it's built up. It's all in the spirit of how the bikes were designed so what the hell.

I'm f***ed if I'm putting riser bars on it though. Those are the work of Satan himself.

Also, you have the most epic Kona collection I've ever seen.

Wait till you see Canucks!

al-onestare":3m0b6ckl said:
Wait till you see Canucks!

:LOL: Oh blimey yeah - now that is something to behold! I see that another Hot of earlier vintage has just been added to the collection :cool:

Pip.

Re:

Rightyho, the Sun was shining on West Berkshire today, and we got to the giddy heights of 15 deg C – Spring has most definitely sprung :D

This was the first proper ride for me on this Hot, and all was good. The usual trip up to Greenham & Crookham Common is a moderate climb from where I live in the Kennet Valley up to the former U.S. Air Base. I use this same climb a lot, so it gives me a good point of reference.This time however I have 10 speed 11- 34 at the back, with my usual 44, 32 & 22 at the front.

No grannie gear required for the climb, and sat down all the way - a good start then :cool: . It is as quick and well handling as I would expect, but I still can’t figure out the more forward feel to the bike. If the 1998 catalogue spec. remained as documented, then it should be the same as my 1998 Ku and 1998 Hei Hei – see earlier post regarding the Seat Tube angle appearing to be a little steeper to my untrained eye.

The stem is my preferred 90mm at 10 deg, and the seat and post came straight off my decommissioned 2000 Kula – so I can only assume that there must be something different in between those two points of contact – i.e. the frame.

This is reminiscent of the John Cowan episode of the Dr. Dew files #3. J.C. is hilariously splitting hairs on frames angles, down to ¼ deg with Dewy, just to get it sweet. I have said in the past that I have compared myself to the fairy tale (insert quip here) by Hans Christian Andersen, the Princess and the Pea, but surely I can’t detect such a fine difference – if indeed there is one.

Anyway, I have been doing this Kona bike building thing for a while now, and something is a little different about this Hot - and I am liking it a lot ;) .

Pip.

Latest posts

Back