1997 Speared Kona Hot

This is AWESOME! Love the patina- not much time for garage queens- this looks like it has put many a smile on the owners face :D

Minty Sauce":1sylwh5e said:
GoldenEraMTB":1sylwh5e said:
Minty Sauce":1sylwh5e said:
GoldenEraMTB":1sylwh5e said:
nice frame and fork :cool:

I understand not going period for a 1997, but please consider swapping out the crankset/brake levers/shifters/handlebar ;)

I'm sure you wouldn't want any of the items mentioned above then if he did change them?? :LOL: ;) :LOL:

Nice bike tho, very nice setup. Looks rather fresh :cool:

:LOL:
wait
:LOL:

seriously, he has the basis for a truly awesome Kona build. Keeping the frame/headset/fork/seat post, there's great potential.

:D Your right it definitely has BOTM potential with a few tweeks! Looks really modern despite the age, that's probably why the new parts on it don't look out of place :?

Glad I made you laugh :p

It's good to laugh ;) :)

Thanks for the closeup shot of the Goat; very cool...didn't know about that.

SpearedHot":8rnltmmp said:
To Anthony
As far as I know, Velographics is no longer around. I've included some pics that clearly show the Goat and serial number.
Thanks, that's interesting. I don't know if you're aware, but 1996 and some 1997 Kona Hots were made by Altitude Cycles of Chico, California, a frame-building company set up by Jeff Lindsay alongside his existing Mountain Goat business, using the same factory and welders. So your goat stamp and the serial number format both go to confirm that your frame was one of those, and it was built in 1996 - they presumably built a batch at that time in preparation for the 1997 model year (the cable routing identifies your frame as a 97 model, not a 96).

Anthony":3otwbxdx said:
SpearedHot":3otwbxdx said:
To Anthony
As far as I know, Velographics is no longer around. I've included some pics that clearly show the Goat and serial number.
Thanks, that's interesting. I don't know if you're aware, but 1996 and some 1997 Kona Hots were made by Altitude Cycles of Chico, California, a frame-building company set up by Jeff Lindsay alongside his existing Mountain Goat business, using the same factory and welders. So your goat stamp and the serial number format both go to confirm that your frame was one of those, and it was built in 1996 - they presumably built a batch at that time in preparation for the 1997 model year (the cable routing identifies your frame as a 97 model, not a 96).

very sweet, now you have to build that frame up with some primo parts :D

GoldenEraMTB":1vb840hb said:
Anthony":1vb840hb said:

I knew the 1996's were built by Jeff and his crew at Altitude but I didn't know about the 1997's. I assumed this bike was built by Enigma, so this is good info to find out. I now have two Hots built by Altitude. *Hint* there is something lurking in the bushes in one of the pictures.

You guys may talk me into going all out after all! In my own defense, the handlebars were from my parts bin and not purchased deliberately for this bike :D

SpearedHot":3kqyq15y said:
GoldenEraMTB":3kqyq15y said:
Anthony":3kqyq15y said:

I knew the 1996's were built by Jeff and his crew at Altitude but I didn't know about the 1997's. I assumed this bike was built by Enigma, so this is good info to find out. I now have two Hots built by Altitude. *Hint* there is something lurking in the bushes in one of the pictures.

You guys may talk me into going all out after all! In my own defense, the handlebars were from my parts bin and not purchased deliberately for this bike :D

I see it!

5af7c638.jpg

GoldenEraMTB":2mdu1rnp said:
SpearedHot":2mdu1rnp said:
GoldenEraMTB":2mdu1rnp said:
Anthony":2mdu1rnp said:

I see it!

5af7c638.jpg

Star's & Bar's - niiiiiiice, some pics. for us?

My 1997 had a 96 serial number with the goat aswell. Shame I didn't take a pic of the number- ernie off here may well tell you it once he takes delivery of the frame tho

Back