1997 Santa Cruz Heckler

firedfromthecircus":35xvwbdv said:
:LOL:
That's cool Valleyman.
Was it a damaged frame when you decided to hang it up or just no longer being ridden?

Hi mate, frame was not damaged but too many bikes and no space... :)

Couple of bits changed out and I think it's done for now.
XT cranks, XT front mech and XT Rear Hub with a matching black Mavic rim.

28366331900_1ce5624041_b.jpg

28033706204_de04ec897c_b.jpg

Looking really nice mate. Garden's looking good too :)

Now that's shiny :cool:

Have to say I am very impressed at the ride. I wonder if I should have tried suspension years ago! :oops:

I am wondering about fitting a bit more fork. I'll keep my eyes open for a reasonable Mr T I think.

firedfromthecircus":3g0x0xid said:
Now that's shiny :cool:

Have to say I am very impressed at the ride. I wonder if I should have tried suspension years ago! :oops:

I am wondering about fitting a bit more fork. I'll keep my eyes open for a reasonable Mr T I think.
you can see where it made the camera overexpose :LOL: being a cross country frame i doubt it'll ride that well with a fork like that. Worth a try though, id be interested to read your feedback. I actually preferred mine when it had pace rc36 forks on it, although they were a bit soft

Sean

The team MBUK guys were running them with Boxxers in '97 so it wouldn't be a complete leap in the dark.
I'll update the thread if anything happens. :LOL:

Re:

Hi there
Some more history for you, as it's my old frame!
When I worked in John Atkins Cycles in Leamington circa 1999 I bought it from the ex Santa Cruz rep, who had moved to Mountain Cycles so couldn't be seen riding a Santa Cruz! I paid £480 for the frameset with the Fox Vanilla rear shock (they retailed at £960 at the time).
As you have correctly identified it is a 97 main frame with a 99 back end.
It was originally a black frame with a polished non disc swingarm and i ran it with M739 XT groupset and Syncros finishing gear.
I then bought a medium 99 Heckler in blue with a polished disc swingarm and swapped the swingarms over so I could go disc and sold the blue Heckler frameset.
I bought some Hope Enduro 4's and had them built onto Hope hubs with Mavic X317 disc rims.
Then when I decided it was time for full on stealth mode I resprayed the swingarm black myself.
A few years later when I decided the main frame had seen better days I got it sprayed Ferrari Red by Lee Cooper Cycles in Coventry.
I got the white decals from ebay and if you notice the one on the drive side is not quite straight because I wanted to miss the cable guide for the rear mech.
It truly is an awesome 'do everything' bike and i do miss it.
I think i sold it to a retrobiker but i don't think it was you???!!!

Re: Re:

raveydavey":1x5qp1ex said:
Hi there
Some more history for you, as it's my old frame!
When I worked in John Atkins Cycles in Leamington circa 1999 I bought it from the ex Santa Cruz rep, who had moved to Mountain Cycles so couldn't be seen riding a Santa Cruz! I paid £480 for the frameset with the Fox Vanilla rear shock (they retailed at £960 at the time).
As you have correctly identified it is a 97 main frame with a 99 back end.
It was originally a black frame with a polished non disc swingarm and i ran it with M739 XT groupset and Syncros finishing gear.
I then bought a medium 99 Heckler in blue with a polished disc swingarm and swapped the swingarms over so I could go disc and sold the blue Heckler frameset.
I bought some Hope Enduro 4's and had them built onto Hope hubs with Mavic X317 disc rims.
Then when I decided it was time for full on stealth mode I resprayed the swingarm black myself.
A few years later when I decided the main frame had seen better days I got it sprayed Ferrari Red by Lee Cooper Cycles in Coventry.
I got the white decals from ebay and if you notice the one on the drive side is not quite straight because I wanted to miss the cable guide for the rear mech.
It truly is an awesome 'do everything' bike and i do miss it.
I think i sold it to a retrobiker but i don't think it was you???!!!

Cheers for the info Davey. Not sure how I missed your post until now but it's nice to hear a bit of history. ;)

I bought the frame off someone else on Retrobike, so you are right you didn't sell it to me. If I ever decide to sell it I'll let you know just in case you want a reunion. :LOL:

Back