1997? Proflex Animal For Sale

Emlyn

Retro Newbie
Hey guys/girls

I know this is my first post, and even I hate it when someone logs on here to flog something, but I've only just come across this page whilst browsing the web for the best place to sell my beloved, well restored Proflex.

I bought this bike as a frame a few months ago because it looked sad hanging up in a shop full of Apollo's and Townsend's, so I thought I'd buy it and build her up and store her in a shed along with my other rides from a MK1 Raleigh Chopper, GT i-Drive and my Kona Stab Supreme.

Unfortunately, I need to get rid of her because times are getting tough for us all and she's the only thing of value that I bought to store and never use.

I built her on a cold saturday morning using the mountains of spare parts that I have in the garage and took her for one last ride on Cannock Chase the following day and I have to admit it, for a bike of her age, she rides like a dream overtaking all these sunday warriors on their £5K pristine bikes.

Anyway, before I cry all over my laptop, here's the spec:-

1997 (I think) Proflex Animal with Easton Tubing and Carbon Fibre swingarm.
Noleen rear shock
Girvin Elite forks with Noleen shock
Truvativ Firex crank
Truvativ bottom bracket
LX rear mech (no spare XT's unfortunately)
XT front mech
XT V-brakes (spent ages looking for a good set of Magura's)
Shimano wheelset (again, no good spins or spinergy wheels)
Cane Creek headset
Amoeba bars
Ritchey stem
Velo PFF seat
Continental Explorer tyres with loads of tread
Brand new tubes and lock on grips

There are a few minor scratches, nothing major. Everything works, including the shocks and pivots. There are no pedals as I find it's down to the rider to choose what's right for them.

This bike has been a dream bike ever since I got into riding many years ago and I owned one like this in 1999, except it had the smart shocks front and rear, but it was stolen by the brother of a well known footballer!!

This bike is also on fleebay but you guys will, I'm sure, look after her like I have. There are plenty of pictures of this bike

I'm after sensible offers on this. I have a figure of how much I think the bike's worth so make me an offer

Hi, to be honest you not going to get near that. Something along the near £300. I have had to proflex's - 857 rare small and a 97 beast. Ended up splitting them, make more indivdually.

Some sort idea for prices

£90 for frame
£70 for fork
£90 for the rest

So, about £260 - £300

I got the prices from eBay and other sites.

It is in very good condition and was pretty pricey trying to get the parts. Even the V-brakes cost a lot as they were brand new 98 models.

Like I said though, I am open to offers.

Emlyn

To be honest simonlovell99 is about right. I have my 1996 Pro-Flex Animal on here for £275 ONO and have had no interest in it as yet!!!

Do not know why, as I feel it is priced about right.

:D

Emlyn":kapfmcjn said:
I got the prices from eBay and other sites.

Unfortunately the prices people put things up for sale aren't the prices they necessarily sell for... if at all. There is a constant stream of people trying their luck with old MTB's thinking they are worth a small fortune.

The sad thing is that the bike you have built will be worth far less than the price you paid for the parts - you've got to go into this retro MTB thing with open eyes. For instance, my Rocky Mountain frameset is only going to sell for 60% of what it cost me to buy, restore and collect the necessary parts.

The Pro-flexs are a marmite thing as well, there is definately a loyal following but the design is something a lot of people are not drawn to.

Your best bet to recoup as much money as possible is to split the bike. Clean all the components thoroughly, photograph them well on a white background, give an honest description with a realistic price and you'll get interest.

I have to agree with earlier posters

Don't use ebay as a guide unless you are using the sold items as reference. There are far too many who ask for a high price and still have the same item a year later simply because they overpriced them.

Proflex's in particular are a pig in that they are now of an age that most are suffering with the shock issues and second hand ones tend to be faulty as well so replacement new ones can cost 300-500 depending on what make you choose

Even within Proflex fans the animal does not have a lot of fans. I would therefore check out ebay completed sales...look a bit more in our own sales section to see what what any sold for then you will be able to price it at a price you will be okay with and hopefully find a sale

good luck

Latest posts

Back