1997 Judy Cartridges - Schwinn Homegrown

JoeG

Retro Guru
I recently picked up a Schwinn Homegrown frame with a 97 Judy XC Long Travel fork. I've taken the fork apart. The damping cartridge is black ano aluminum, and completely empty. So it needs a rebuild (which I will try) or replaced.

In my parts stash, I found another cartridge with the same dimensions, but silver.

Are the 2 cartridges interchangeable?

Are the 56404 cartridge seals available anywhere?

It depends on the length an on the bottom thread size, whether they are interchangeable or not.

I was not yet able to find a standard seal that fits those cartridges exactly. Maybe it's some imperial size?

Thias":2fgxj6hw said:
I was not yet able to find a standard seal that fits those cartridges exactly. Maybe it's some imperial size?

If they a USA made then the seals are very likely an imperial size.

Internal threads on the NOS damper shaft fit the fork's shaft bolts. :p

NOS damper has some air in it. :(

Rebuilt old damper, and it seems good! (no noise) :D

Damper Seal Measurements mm/in (digital caliper)
OD 21.82/0.861
Shaft dia 10.04/0.395
Depth 6.84/0.269

Will try to find some seals. I'm in the US, so should be able to get both standard and metric size seals.

cherrybomb":72awh0u0 said:
Thias":72awh0u0 said:

If they a USA made then the seals are very likely an imperial size.

Most sizes on those forks are actually metric. Bolts, tool size, shafts dia etc.
Just that one dimameter of the cartridge seal is not. Or at least it's no common size.

The decimal inch measurements that I took do not align at all with normal fractional inch measurements; they are closer to the metric size 10X22X7.

But per http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;start=20 the metric 10X22X7 cartridges don't fit. The OD is too large; 22.3 mm (0.878 in)

I did some looking onjline for seals, and found lots of metric ones. One seal, from Dichtomatik Americas had decimal inch dimensions that are very close to what I measured on my damper seal: 0.394X0.866X0.276

I think that I am going to order a set and see if they work since the OD is 21.99 mm.

https://www.motionindustries.com/produc ... u=01636418

They won't fit, I'm afraid. Those are the exact same seals, that I had tried.
But if they do fit, please report :D

Back