1997 Giant ATX 980

MarinMartin

Marin Fan
It's been a rough few months but things are starting to look up now so I'm hoping to be a more regular visitor on here again. I'm a bit more optimistic about next year so decided I wanted a retro in my life again I could use for charity events and special rides. I kept looking on Ebay in case anything came up and this showed up cheap(ish) so I decided to take a punt. It's a 1997 (or so I've been told) Giant ATX980.

My plans for it are (purists look away now) to create a bit of a retromod project. I want to put modern parts on it to make it a more modern riding bike with retro style as to be honest it's something I've always wanted to do properly that I've never been able to afford before. It's never going to win any competitions with me riding it but it's something I've wanted and tried to do for years. I know it won't be to everyone's taste but at the end of the day it's my bike and as long as I can enjoy it what does it matter what others think. If we all liked the same thing the world would be a boring place.

I've had it a month or so already and to be honest I won't be able to start the project until the New Year as trying to rebuild my more important bikes means this one will have to wait until I can afford the parts for it, which I should have when I sell a couple of my modern bikes in January, but it's one I want to get done as I've always had a soft spot for the ATX series ever since I saw my friend's ATX in Giant Racing Team colours. Fingers crossed I can make something really nice out of it that I can ride for special events.

Not much to see at the moment but a good base for what I want to achieve.

Attachments

• atx.jpg
    atx.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 33
For a simple design they ride really well and are pretty capable across all terrains.
Try not to put too modern a fork on as the extra travel might throw the geometry, visually at least.
I’ve got a ‘96 & ‘97 ATX990 which I’ve been meaning to finish for some time too!

Those bikes were one of the really popular non BC bikes on the north shore BITD. I believe my friend had one for a few years. Have fun with the build.

Thanks guys. Yeah it's very much going to be a fun build. Forks wise I was thinking 80-100mm forks. Definitely no more than that as I want to be able to climb on it 🤣). I've fitted the knackered 100mm recons from my Trance just to see what it looks like and I liked the way it sat. It will be more modern drivetrain than anything (3x9 if I can find a groupset cheap enough. Might even be able to salvage a crankset I already have.

Back