1997 Altitude T.O.

Quick update from this weekend after getting some tools I need to start this build. I press fitted a black Chris King headset, but when installing the yellow Judy SL I noted the headtube is 1.6cm too short, unfortunately :(

Got a period correct Judy SL. Anyone interested in a '96, all yellow, Judy SL? :)

With the fork I made some progress, installed the fork, Syncros Cattlehead, Syncros steerer, Syncros seatpost, Flite Alpes, rear wheel with black Chris King on black Mavic 517. Front wheel is M650 on Campagnolo but hope to replace it with a nice Syncros hub. I have a set of red anodized Turbine SLs ready to be fitted, that must look great! And... plenty of time to think about the rest of the components :) Probably some M950 stuff. What about yellow Oury's? I think the silver Ringle H2O looks OK, but red would look a lot better! What about the tyres?

DSC_0860.JPG

captaincosmic":3vp38m6d said:
Brilliant Idea my good man ....might I suggest a long weekend in Amsterdam with a bike excuse as I have officially grown up :roll: :LOL:

:D

I can do that :cool:

Ferry to the Netherlands on Friday afternoon, ride to Amsterdam, enjoy the city, go back on Sunday. :D

troje":3eqk0h8a said:
Got a period correct Judy SL. Anyone interested in a '96, all yellow, Judy SL? :)

With the fork I made some progress, installed the fork, Syncros Cattlehead, Syncros steerer, Syncros seatpost, Flite Alpes, rear wheel with black Chris King on black Mavic 517. Front wheel is M650 on Campagnolo but hope to replace it with a nice Syncros hub. I have a set of red anodized Turbine SLs ready to be fitted, that must look great! And... plenty of time to think about the rest of the components :) Probably some M950 stuff. What about yellow Oury's? I think the silver Ringle H2O looks OK, but red would look a lot better! What about the tyres?

DSC_0860.JPG

Lovin' it so far. The red turbines sounds perfect. Yellow Ourys? Why not?!? Most Rocky's from that era had a sort of understated, quiet elegance to them. The Altitude, on the other hand, I always thought of as a louder, more brash little brother who gets in your face a bit, but you'd bury a body for him if you needed to. :LOL:

For the bottle cage, more anno red might be overkill? I'd maybe go for black if you could do an even swap? I have a black ringle I'd swap you, but postage would make it not worthwhile for either of us. M950 is perfect too ('d be remiss not to mention I have a bunch of 950 bits for sale...Vees, rear mech, cassette). The tyres? Hmmmm, I'd likely go for black, but that's just my puritan side. Would need to see with the red turbines for a final opinion.

Subscribing to this one.

Turbines added tonight, working on it is a good form of therapy. Let's first try with a black set of RaceFace chainrings, but I have a gold set of Syncros spare that might look better. Choices...

P1010704.JPG

PeteC":qzreb5l6 said:
Lovin' it so far. The red turbines sounds perfect. Yellow Ourys? Why not?!? Most Rocky's from that era had a sort of understated, quiet elegance to them. The Altitude, on the other hand, I always thought of as a louder, more brash little brother who gets in your face a bit, but you'd bury a body for him if you needed to. :LOL:

For the bottle cage, more anno red might be overkill? I'd maybe go for black if you could do an even swap? I have a black ringle I'd swap you, but postage would make it not worthwhile for either of us. M950 is perfect too ('d be remiss not to mention I have a bunch of 950 bits for sale...Vees, rear mech, cassette). The tyres? Hmmmm, I'd likely go for black, but that's just my puritan side. Would need to see with the red turbines for a final opinion.

Subscribing to this one.

Thanks! I agree fully, the Altitude has always been the aggressive bike in the Rocky line up, especially the '97 T.O. I've seen them in crazy builds with all sorts of anodized CNC'ed stuff, it can look great. Apparently this build is giving me all sorts of dilemma, it's not going to be an easy one. I might replace earlier fitted stuff with better looking and performing components during the build. Tyres might be in this list. I'll wait for a good daylight view but from what I feel now, I have some mixed feelings about them.

Your M950 stuff I've spotted, thanks! Let me have a think about the postage, most of that I can source this side of the pond but I might get back to you!

Yes, she definitely looks better outside! I slowly gathered some nice minty M950 stuff, brakes and mechs. Slowly but surely this frame is becoming a complete bike.

Wheels are now my thought. It now has a Chris King black rear hub on a black Mavic M517, I just fit it to see how black looks. Not too sure though. The hub needs an overhaul (sound is gone!) and the rims could use some cleaning though. Shouldn't I go for a silver set of hubs? For the pic I fitted a silver M650 hub on a silver Campa Mirox rim, just to see how it looks. Maybe anodized hubs is the way forward? Gold? Red?

What else. I could use some M950 shifter/lever combos. Not many of those around at the moment.

P1010715.JPG

P1010718.JPG

P1010719.JPG

Back