1996 GT Team LTS - Update 02.02.11

carter711":55c7i221 said:
Awesome project, watching with interest!

trxrincon":55c7i221 said:
She's gonna be smart! :cool: :cool:

Thanks :) - You might be watching for a good couple of months yet but I hope it'll be worth it!

I forgot to put a pic of the crankset on before, so here goes:
Picture226.jpg

The red anodising is quite faded so I'm going to strip most of it off, apart from the bit in the middle (where the RaceFace logo is). I think the new polished/red combo will look good and will match the silver/red theme that I'm going for on the rest of the build :)

Nice, and more than a little un-nerving...

I've finished stripping my frame this weekend, and have been polishing the front triangle :shock: :shock: ( also a 16" LTS)...

Please excuse crappy phone pic!

Photo0169.jpg

Weird...

A race to the finish then Barney? :LOL:

My_Teenage_Self":k43fcels said:

Haha! If the progress of my build is anything to go by it'll be the slowest race ever!

Yours is looking shiny and sweet, by the way :)

Barneyballbags":10aj1cc4 said:
My_Teenage_Self":10aj1cc4 said:

Haha! If the progress of my build is anything to go by it'll be the slowest race ever!

Yours is looking shiny and sweet, by the way :)

HA! I work Slooooowww... Winner comes last? :LOL:

That pic makes it look better than it is, LOADS of autosol has been used already.

I'm really enjoying watching your progress, and thinking how we are coming to similar decisions on things...

UPDATE 11.1.11

Rims have arrived, and all my concerns about them looking cracked in the pictures have gone - They're minty fresh :)

Braking surface is almost as new, and there isn't a mark on them. Can't wait to get them built. The pictures don't do the colour any justice:

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

Cranks arrived today :)

Threads and tapers are mint, but unfortunately they're a bit more faded than I'd hoped, so my original plan of leaving the middle bit (where the logo is) red and nitromorsing the rest has gone out of the window. I'm off into town soon to pick up some caustic soda - the cranks are going silver!

Polished silver crank, silver chainrings, anodised red bolts and pedals :)

Thought I'd post a handful of pics of the cranks - I really like the way they're made. If anyone could tell me which Turbines I have, and what length BB I'd need I'd be grateful! I've got a 113mm UN71 at the moment and I'll be running a double ring setup - no granny ring! ...

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

Here are the same cranks, after the caustic soda treatment. Not too shabby.... And it was really simple to strip the anodising off - just buy a tub of caustic soda (£2.50 from Boots!), mix it with 2 litres of COLD water, pop the cranks in, wait about 2 minutes, removem rinse with plenty of water and clean!

It's not all good news though - the non-drive arm is cracked, right at the taper. You can just about make the cracks out in the pictures in my previous post. However they really became apparent once the anodising had been stripped. I'm glad I found it in a way - at least now I can't fit them and have them fail on me!

I've contacted the guy who I bought them off to see if I can get a part-refund. I'm happy to keep the drive side arm and use it - just need to find another non-drive to match it!

Pics:
IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

gutted about the cracks but you have done a great job on the cranks.

look forward to future updates.

lewis1641":zzti74q6 said:
gutted about the cracks but you have done a great job on the cranks.

look forward to future updates.

Thanks Lewis :) - I'm really chuffed with how they turned out to be honest. When I initially pulled them out of the caustic they were matt black all over which was a bit of a shock! A bit of a scrub up with some 0000 wire wool and the silverness came through nicely :)

The added bonus was the logos - they were white to begin with but once I'd scrubbed them, the red anodising underneath was revealed. I think they look really trick. Shame about the non-drive arm but hey-ho, I'm sure I'll be able to get my hands on another one and give it the same caustic treatment :)

Back