1996 Claud Butler Cape Wrath 653 (The Blue one)

oaklec":2349hvwj said:
Who needs lugs? I once had a beautifully fillet brazed Hobbs of Barbican. Workmanship that is hard to find today.

Ahhhh! you're using the Dark side of the family name (Hobbs) against me.... I love my filleted '54 Jubilee (build in signature below) but that’s smoothed….. not machine welded.

Re:

Looks like it has some nice White Industries cranks fitted. They are light and strong from memory and worth a few pennies over the Deore LX ones, i'd keep them personally.
As for forks the XC700 was older and 1996 was the first year the Bomber Z2 was available, it's a decent fork that actually works well (unlike the XC series), I'd fit a Z2 in a heartbeat, only problem you might have will be finding the canti hanger which is quite rare.

Here's a 1996 Z3 (no rebound adjust) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marzocchi-Bo ... Sw1YRcht7f for example. For the Z2 you can usually tell the earlier models by the red pre-load knob and the arch isn't as milled out as the later ones as you can see with these longer travel Z1's (which are probably 1996's mis labelled) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marzocchi-Z1 ... Sw0qdcjnjN

Carl.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Canti banger shouldn’t be a problem for two reasons

Peachy is addicted to Magura’s - Kreamit has reproduction hangers made

Retro Spud":2gcj0iw2 said:
Canti banger shouldn’t be a problem for two reasons

Peachy is addicted to Magura’s - Kreamit has reproduction hangers made

Re-pro hanger or Magura's, either way is good! I have a Z2 Atom Bomb on my Anteaus mainly as the Atom bomb was shorter travel vs the regular Z2 and I wanted a fork that worked when I rode it, it only comes out a few times a year but is always working when it does.

Carl.

drcarlos":3fbgg9m0 said:
Looks like it has some nice White Industries cranks fitted. They are light and strong from memory and worth a few pennies over the Deore LX ones, i'd keep them personally.
As for forks the XC700 was older and 1996 was the first year the Bomber Z2 was available, it's a decent fork that actually works well (unlike the XC series), I'd fit a Z2 in a heartbeat, only problem you might have will be finding the canti hanger which is quite rare.

Here's a 1996 Z3 (no rebound adjust) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marzocchi-Bo ... Sw1YRcht7f for example. For the Z2 you can usually tell the earlier models by the red pre-load knob and the arch isn't as milled out as the later ones as you can see with these longer travel Z1's (which are probably 1996's mis labelled) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marzocchi-Z1 ... Sw0qdcjnjN

Carl.

Hello Carl, thanks for the heads up on the White Industries crank set… This road boy doesn’t always know what he’s got.. :facepalm:

And yes, I like the Z3, and aesthetically the blue graphics would fit in better with the overall look of this Blue Wrath.
Only I need 225mm of steerer tube, this one is 185mm. I’ve seen tube extenders on e-bay, but aren’t these a bit tricky?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Re the White Industries cranks,were they really trick,rare and pricey in the very early 90s(along with their hubs) before becoming more mainstream and cheaper in the mid 90s?Were White Industries taken over by a component giant?Were they initially CNC`d before going the cheaper forged route?

Re: Re:

66 triumph daytona":1qhc4sxu said:
Re the White Industries cranks,were they really trick,rare and pricey in the very early 90s(along with their hubs) before becoming more mainstream and cheaper in the mid 90s?Were White Industries taken over by a component giant?Were they initially CNC`d before going the cheaper forged route?

Sorry, no idea, not my area of knowledge I’m afraid.

Anyway, headset now sorted, new (10 year old) Tioga saddle fitted, descent set of Tioga factory black boots, NOS surefoot 31 pedals, full service and clean, topped off with a matching pair of 90’s Elite bottle cages that cleaned up well and I’d say that’s about done. I did toy with the idea of swapping the rigids for shocks but I think I’ll park that for now and enjoy the bike in it’s near catalogue set-up.

Attachments

• E3F5B64D-ACDA-43F7-8696-98CCF7B01B9D.jpeg
    E3F5B64D-ACDA-43F7-8696-98CCF7B01B9D.jpeg
    290.5 KB · Views: 538
  • 6D08E3C6-B257-42CB-9DF6-CD150A8B2DE8.jpeg
    6D08E3C6-B257-42CB-9DF6-CD150A8B2DE8.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 538
  • 1857ABCB-2128-47E8-B5A7-3AD5B0FB4DF4.jpeg
    1857ABCB-2128-47E8-B5A7-3AD5B0FB4DF4.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 538

LongLegsRetro":13spxzdo said:
Nice job, should be upto the task, reliable simplicity.

Ta, it does work well and feels surprisingly tidy going down hill on the rough stuff, I guess that might be the tubing.
I kind of like the way that the “road bike/commuter/hybrid” paint/graphic finish hides a half descent ATB.

66 triumph daytona":3ozr02tw said:

Yep. They made some cheaper cranks which came OE on a few mid range Martins. Still nice looking

More recently they have gone upmarket again.

Back