*** 1995 Orange P7 restoration *** NOW FINISHED

Progress.

Kind of..

I've soaked her in Plus-Gas for two days.

I've been able to break the bonding and gain 3mm of vertical movement; the frame rotated around the seat post, but vertical movement was near on impossible.

I've heated the frame (notice the discoloring), which made things slightly easier in that I got a few more mm of vertical movement but no more.

I've then cut the post leaving 1.5" exposed above the level of the shim. I've clamped the remainder and popped roughly .5 - 1" of the interior post's vertical length away from the wall of the seat tube.

All of this for negligible gain.

Very, very, VERY frustrating. :evil: :evil: :evil:

In the end, I've cut the post at the shim and will be researching local engineering companies who might be able to use a lathe to mill it out. Failing that, a 24mm seat post to go in the hole that remains.

As it stands, I effectively have two shims (and a frame feeling very sorry for itself :cry: )

Thoughts, please?
Ps - It damn nearly brought a tear to my eye, taking that blow torch to the frame...
DSC03418.jpg

DSC03419.jpg

DSC03421.jpg

I'm absolutely heart broken.

I researched a local engineering/machining company yesterday and took the old girl to said company to see if they could help.

"Leave it with me for a day, I'm a bit busy now but I'll have it out" were the parting words said by company owner.

I returned today to discover that they'd "had a problem" with the extraction/reeming...

DSC03431.jpg

DSC03432.jpg

DSC03436.jpg

I can't spare the time right now to describe how I articulated my frustration at the owner. Imagine my further frustration when he said he won't offer me any form of compensation*

*No payment up front. We had a verbal agreement that the work would take roughly one hour and would cost £30.

I'm going down the route of pursuing them via the trade descriptions act/citizens advice bureau avenue. My thoughts are to explore frame repair via the likes of Argos and ask the engineering company to cover the cost.

So unhappy.

Thanks Sylus.

Thanks also to Roly for sending me 1x Series 8 tubing sticker. Seems like it might be some time before I get to apply it.

Letter sent.

In the meantime - fingers crossed - I'm hoping I can get another P7 from nerdboi, of these parts. The plan being to use that as my MTB restoration and the 'old girl' as a conversion to carbon bladed, road SS.

Here's hoping. :D

Thats shit luck :O How on earth have they dinted it like that?!

Best thing to do with a proper stuck post, cut the top off leaving around 2", then hacksaw blade down into the post and cut into 3/4 or more depending on energy, clamp the now flared bits in a vice if they still won't move and crutch them into the middle and shake to remove.

Cheers Raleighracer - I tried that and with no luck. It's stuck tight :twisted:

I've contacted Argos Cycles and they're confident they can get it out by melting the damned thing.

One thing at a time, though. The offending engineering company will receive my letter today (special delivery, signed for, etc) and must decide on what they want to do. Either be nice and cover the cost of my repairs (quoted @ £400-500 by Argos) or I'll take them to the Small Claims Court and get the money that way.

Idiots. :x

Back