1995 Marin Team Titanium

Re: Re:

Agency_Scum":33wlwmkt said:
the-fast-show_001745_1_MainPicture.jpg

Indeed

Gast flubbered.

I'd intended on doing the gears next, but there are some little bolts and stuff still on back order, so I decided to rebuild the pedals late into last night.

The pedals up for a resto are Onza H.O. Titanium, and have seen many, many miles under my feet. Consequently, they're knackered! The play in the axles is about 1.5mm each side, and there are plates snapped inside the elastomers.

ejbw9e.jpg

So, stripped them totally to assess the damage...

fapfdw.jpg

As suspected really. Bushes need replacing as they are 0.2mm too big in the centre, hence all the axle movement. Bearings are oddly very smooth still, and there are various bolts and plates that are either snapped, missing or unusable. The all important Titanium axles are of course fine.

Some new parts from a rebuild kit...

2yn1bok.jpg

Put the useable parts in the homemade parts washer, and then got a few more bits from the rebuild kit...

2po6076.jpg

I gave the main body a good rub down before putting everything back together. Put the new bushes and bearings in, packed it up with grease and made sure it was running smooth. The bushes can be a little rough for the first few minutes of spinning by hand.

rgyvtd.jpg

Now we're ready for the elastomers. I've chosen clear for this pair as they'll better match the bike.

2iix5k0.jpg

Pre versus post restoration.

iydh82.jpg

I had better pedal bodies in stock, but again, I like to keep a consistent patina with this build rather than near NOS for everything.

Dressed for business...

264045i.jpg

Just a few more of it so far...

99qps9.jpg

30cabdy.jpg

2h86dt3.jpg

jutn9k.jpg

Re:

^+1

Why don't you ask "your cousin" (I'm sure he wouldn't mind being namechecked) for the matching Brooks cork bar end plugs that he has stashed away?

I am scrolling through this topic and nodding with my head in approval of EVERYTHING!
Sexy lookin' bike mate!

This is very nice.
argie.gif

Love how you are going about the build with well used parts and the butterscotch combo looks awesome.
Hats off to you.

I've dragged my heels with finishing this until a couple of days ago, and just got it completed in one late night sitting.

The Marin Lite cantis took a fair bit of cleaning to come good, and I switched a few bolts over for Titanium versions for good measure. The rocker on the front forks was pretty straight forward. I've heard storied that they've taken ages to get set up right, but mine was quite simple, and it's pretty effective too.

2mzza7p.jpg

dr5jf6.jpg

I spent ages looking for the 'right' bar end plug, and found that a nice piece of bamboo was perfect!

90q8ll.jpg

The chainset used to run on another build, and the accompanying chain was a Rohloff SLT 99 in the correct 8 speed width. The chain isn't particularly fresh looking, but still has plenty of life left, and they're getting fairly scarce or very expensive these days.

ebdic2.jpg

I think pretty rather than perfect sums this bike up...

2udxjqf.jpg

9gk9pj.jpg

ixct2c.jpg

Not sure who took this photo, but it's a good one, and clearly shows the bike nestled with its brothers at Iconoclassic this year...

eq5a3a.jpg

Back