1995 Marin Team Titanium

Re: Marin 1995 Team Titanium

I love the look of that saddle, I think the tan theme will look awesome. But i agree stop at the grips

Re:

the-fast-show_001745_1_MainPicture.jpg

That rim is black :LOL:

But its looking sooo good! I love it.

And I like what you did to your Pace fork. I, too have a sad looking set in the making. Up until now I was not sure what to do with the very bad looking clear coat. Now I know :D

Great project!
Looking forward to seeing the finished article
Like what you've done with the forks, simple but very effective

I had a couple of hours free whilst on a long lunch today, so I got cracking with a little more build up. I started off with this pile as today's project...

m8fhoj.jpg

Bottom bracket is an old Hope Titanium one that I bought sometime in the late 90's in Ambleside. It's had about 8 sets of bearings so far, and the current ones are still pretty smooth, so I'll just give it a strip and clean before fitting. It's seen quite a lot of miles and action during that time, which is evident when viewed in detail...

2ymvg5j.jpg

In this next picture you can just about see where the bike hit some rocks which caused the hairline crack on the welds. The lowest point on the down tube is where to look besides the obvious one at the top of the picture.

iy1z47.jpg

So, what are we looking at in this next picture? Well used Middleburn RS1's, SRP alloy crank bolts, Zero outer ring, Middleburn middle ring, and a Titanium granny ring. The outer chainring bolts are alloy, and the inner ones are Titanium. As with other projects, I had to employ Rampage (Chris) to make me some new granny ring spacers as the Titanium ring is thinner than alloy, which brings the chain line closer. The spacers were made slightly wider to accommodate this, and I had them fluted to match the original style that Middleburn used.

2gwgtbk.jpg

I've tried to use a different colour for the cables, and I think White will bring out the decals a bit more. Silver was too drab, and tan/brown is too much. I really wanted some Pace Renthal bars in Silver for this project, but all the ones I see are either cut down to a silly chopstick style length or not actually Silver. I've got some spare Titec Titanium ones which will do for now, so I gave them a 'mock up'. I'll have to clean them and the M900 levers of course, but you'll get an idea where I'm going with this.

2cieb2v.jpg

jhqw79.jpg

2iiept0.jpg

jjy4bm.jpg

That's it for now. I've had to measure up and order a few little Titanium or alloy bolts that I need, so they'll be here within the week hopefully.

Gears next!

Re:

Looking good.. similar set up to how mine once was :D and i like the white cables idea, mind if i steal it?

Are you going for marin lite cantis on the front? It took me an absolute age to set them up with the pace rocker!

Quick little update tonight...

I intend to use Marin Lite cantis, and of course you can use white cables on yours - I'm flattered I've influenced somebody with this thread.

I had a choice of cassettes available to use, and I wanted to use something I hadn't already done, so I opted for my only M900 type 0 cassette that I have. The difference between type 0 and type P is that the former is higher geared (28 teeth max) and uses riveted rings on the main body, whilst the latter uses machine screws on the body, and is also lower geared (32 teeth max).

It's pretty grubby looking...

numq1.jpg

Just to compare it with an Action Tec titanium one I have...

dbms0z.jpg

The best I could clean it...

jrtes3.jpg

It is actually clean, but titanium sometimes looks rough and dirty still! Here it is in its new home...

11lkm5f.jpg

Cleaned up the Titec Titanium bars quick enough, and then stripped, degreased and touched up my XTR levers. I used a very small amount of three different Humbrol enamel paints mixed together to match the M900 blue on the lever body. I then changed the shifters bolts for titanium.

I wanted to get the levers in position because I was keen to try my choice of grips. I spent ages looking for these - I knew exactly what I wanted, but couldn't find it anywhere. I was looking for some tan leather strips to match my saddle, but nothing was coming close. I even started considering cork grips, until I mentioned my quest to my cousin. He took me into his cellar where he had some old road bars covered in very worn Brooks honey leather tape. They were oiled and dark in appearance which put me off at first, but when I rubbed the top layer off with sandpaper, they turned into the colour you see here...

33m994y.jpg

xnuiyq.jpg

To my mind it was perfect, and my cousin let me have them, to which I'm very thankful as the Brooks tape is pretty expensive.

I need to find some appropriate bar plugs, as they are just temporary ones in the photo.

Thought I'd get the mechs stripped down and ready for service. The M910 one is in really good condition, but I had to upgrade it. The SRP breakaway bolt is one of my worst jobs to do as I seem to struggle 9/10 with them

op3f5k.jpg

28aumvc.jpg

Managed to cut down the cables and trial fit them without inners...

2prsbo8.jpg

15nmxyb.jpg

Back