1994 Rocky Mountain Altitude

Finally got some time to make some slightly better pictures.

right.JPG

cockpit.JPG

wunsch.JPG

Re: the '94

semi-school":18ci64kx said:
It's very nice, but I think the Syncros sten just looked right. I know the Ti post tough not to use, I'd like to see it with a black Syncros post and stem.

Yes, the dilemma of the whole that is bigger than the sum of its parts....

Still I think titanium and gold looks great on this frame.

lovely Rocky - should dig out my Blizzard frame and build it up.

you did everything right on the bike, the colours are matching and the Mag 21 looks by far more better without the forkboots (OK, not so recommanded, while riding in muddy conditions).

I dont like the Syncros stem on this bike, as its too bulky compared to the maintubes of the frame. The RF stem suits the bike much more :)

Re:

The fork boots don't do much for mud, by this time rockshox actually took the dust seal out and fitted boots for a slicker feel. No boots fir the dust seal and just clean them. The nice oil bath and quite decent oil seal works well with the dust seal, obviously as few actually need changing and few bushing are properly knackered. Unlike Judy.

What I find boots better for are prevention of bashing rocks or pedal scrapping the the stanchions.

I like the build, I like the silver over the black post/stem setup someone suggested.

Thanks guys for the great comments! Yes, without the fork boots it surely looks better.

Not so much to upgrade now, I'm looking for a silver coloured Brodie brace, think that must look great on this bike. Maybe the chainrings can be in a different colour, but that's about it. Oh, and if I find a perfect Mag 21 SL, then I might be tempted....

looking good. but why not XTR m900 STI to go with the rest of the kit intead of thumbs and ss5 levers? :?

Re:

Yeah, another dilemma. I have two sets collecting dust here. But I don't really like them. Well, maybe worth a try :)

Re: Re:

troje":15dzjxvq said:
Yeah, another dilemma. I have two sets collecting dust here. But I don't really like them. Well, maybe worth a try :)
agreed, not a huge fan of the shifting on them either. but for the sake of consistency i ended up using them on my Titanium. also a set on the 93 Altitude as it came spec'd. but other than that, it's either gripshift, thumbs, or XT STI, which i find better. :?

Re:

If the rear shifting is a bit poor on the m900 they are not too difficult to completely strip and service to make them work quite nicely again. They get laggy as they age and with the atcheting being internal and lots of surfaces rubbing they need a good service.
Still if you are used to anything from the 9speed era (750s or stx 8speed) they are a bit naff. Fine for gentle riding, better than thumbies. But not as nice as gripshift SRT 500/600.
But that's my opinion.

Just ride and enjoy having a bike that is more selective (if not as good) rather than made to have a group. You've not got a m900 chain set.

Or buy another frame and build it up the other way ;-)

Back