1994 Rock Lobster - willing to split!

Rickos

Retro Newbie
Please e-mail me on rick dot twomey (at) gmail dot com if interested. I can't keep up with the speed this board moves at!

I've owned this frame for 16 years and will be very sad to see it go, but it rarely gets ridden anymore.

It's a medium (17.5 inch) 1994 Rock Lobster frame from back when Paul Sadoff was involved with the first run of Taiwanese built frames. It has a 1 inch headtube, so is a little limited these days. It comes with (although willing to split) -

2002 Marzocchi MX Pro with ECC 80mm travel forks - very good condition
Mavic 317 rim on Specialized Stout hub front wheel
Velocity rim on DMR singlespeed hub rear wheel; 18t Shimano freewheel
Panaracer Cinder 2.25 tyres
1994 LX cranks - 175mm - light scuffing
Salsa 34t chainring - very few miles
SRAM PC1 chain
XT square taper BB
On One doofer chain tensioner
On One 80mm stem
Easton EA50 hi-rise bars
ODI lock-on grips in blue
On One Twelfty seatpost
SDG Bel Air saddle (might even be Ti rails, can't remember)
Shimano Deore disc brake (Grimeca rotor) on the front
Avid V-brake on the rear
No pedals

Some of the stuff has had very little use (chainring, freewheel, chain - less than 50 miles). Cranks and frame are original 1994 items.

Problems - the front wheel has a mild wobble in it, but nothing a bit of homestyle spoke key twirling wouldn't fix and one of the stem bolts has rounded a bit so it's difficult to do up really tight, but a replacement should be easy. A few paint chips to the frame, but no dings.

Good stuff - it's an excellent fun bike and would warrant fitting track ends and a rear disc mount to if you wanted. I used to use it to regain my mojo if I ever felt down with biking and it would spark me back to life, just fun, fun, fun. I run it 34:18 which is good for me and close to the usual 32:16 ratio but slightly easier for the hills. I can chuck in a half-link for the chain as it will just about magic ratio at 34:18 with the half-link if you want.

I'd like £225 posted for it, but a bit less if you want to collect. I'm in Monmouth and ride FoD mostly.

Photos here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/rick2/sets ... 021115264/

Shipping is £65 (about 77 or 78 Euros), so frame only shipped to you would be £130 (about 155 Euros).

I keep looking at this,

Is it able to take rear mech, or is it strictly singlespeed now??

GT-Steve - it still has the rear mech hanger and all cable guides ready to go full gears if you want.

Rickos":345z938k said:
I used to use it to regain my mojo if I ever felt down with biking and it would spark me back to life, just fun, fun, fun.

I have one of these SSed as well (32:16) and couldn't agree more. Such a lively frame and a joy to ride through the twisty stuff. Good luck with the sale.

Back