1994 Marin Titanium FRS

Amazing bike. Super rare and very desirable :)

Black rings look good but I think silvers might edge it

Thanks for all the appreciation.

Sean, these two are just for you...

vsnp0y.jpg

a9vjg8.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality pictures, but LED lighting doesn't pick up well with the camera. I had an hour or so free to cut and install the cables plus strip, clean, and rebuild the Critical Racing brakes.

Re:

Taking shape nicely :cool:

Have you considered maybe switching the back brake to right hand lever due to cable guide being on the left? Makes it great fo skids too :LOL:

I couldn't fit the cranks properly until the granny ring spacers were present. I had some spare, but they are a bit too short. I looked around online to find some 8mm ones, and had very little luck, so I turned to Rampage on here to make me some up. I wanted a couple of sets, one in Silver, and one in Turquoise. Rather than having plain ones made, I remembered that Middleburn made fluted ones back in the 90's, of which I actually have in my spares box. So, a couple of pics sent over to Rampage, and off he went to work.
The result of my idea and his skills can be seen here...

sg21c2.jpg

I'm really impressed with what he's done, and will have a go at fitting these over the next few days. I think he's made quite a few sets at the same time as mine, and they're available through eBay if anyone wants some. My mind is already moving to the next project and what I can have made and anodised for that!

The 127mm cheap bottom bracket worked so much better than the 131mm Action Tec one, so I went on the hunt for a 127mm Titanium axle. Luckily, there was one on ebay last week which duly became mine. It's quite a rare piece called a Boone Helix (made by Boone), with the most incredible machining you'll see on a bottom bracket. Obviously this design doesn't need the collars, but I will use my Action Tec cups to hold it all in place. Cranks can go on tomorrow sometime as I'm way too tired after a very long day in work. Here's a couple of pictures before I hide all that beautiful work inside the shell.

2ns6tsy.jpg

208tnde.jpg

Annoyingly, I'm short a couple of nylon washers for removing end float/play in the bottom bracket. I've ordered a heap of them, as I use quite a few of these BB's. It just needs 2 of them putting in the left hand side, as I've got the drive side sorted now. Anyway, I'll go back to that before I ride it.

I built the rings up onto the cranks using the new spacers and chainring bolts, then clamped them up to the BB using SRP alloy bolts in Blue.

ezlh6b.jpg

ftirdv.jpg

Then, my favourite chain...

2cfyz40.jpg

...Rohloff SLT 99 in the correct 8 speed flavour.

Once all that was in place, time for a couple of update pictures in the morning sun. I've still got to sort the brakes out properly, and rebuild some NOS Onza pedals with NOS Titanium axles. Also, fettle the gears, sort the BB play, and chase up the decals.

2a5k4dx.jpg

Back