1994 Marin Titanium FRS

Well i've never been a big fan of modern full suspension bike's but this so much more to look at with it's own special character and it looks so amazing after all the hard work you've put into it and i just loved your story at the begining of this great thread lol ..

Thank you.

Had an hour this morning in between chores and work, so I thought I'd have a stab at the bottom bracket. As I've never mounted a crank properly on this frame, I was uncertain about dimensions for the bottom bracket. I know that Topline cranks should run on 127mm axles, but I've got one that needs 131mm, so I initially bought a 131mm Titanium axle from Action Tec, but that was the Silver cranks which were probably worn on their taper. The Black cranks are staying, that's a given. However, for today's stage of the build I'll use what I have. If it doesn't work, then I'll need to get another axle, but at least this gives me a reference point to work from.

So, here's what I'll be installing today. All brand new, and fresh from Action Tec...

zmoig.jpg

This axle is an adjustable type, that has a separate pair of collars and grub screws to hold the axle in place. The benefit of this set up is that you can make small adjustments in chainline if you need to. So, slide the collars on the axle, and I've used another Action Tec axle I have which gives me the reference as to where the bearings run up to.

9vb3i0.jpg

I'm happy with the collar location. Grease the bearing seats, and tap them into the cups...

2rr4bdi.jpg

Press one cup in place on the axle, and it's ready to install.

2zdpoid.jpg

Next on the list around the bottom bracket area is the unusual cable guide. Unusual because it only carries one cable! When you look closely, it actually looks like the factory have carefully filed and modified a double cable one. As you can see, it currently looks sorry for itself...

ayoz06.jpg

So, I cleaned it all out, and replaced the rusty bolt with a nice cut down Black alloy one.

2vlo96h.jpg

That's all for today. Potentially cables and brakes tomorrow, depending on DIY progress!

Looks like the cable goes nowhere, but there's a very small break in the welds which allows the cable to slide through.

2nkovp0.jpg

I like the way the guide gives the wrong impression and that axle looks really trick but dare i ask how much you paid for the axle ? ..

I think the axle was about £20 from somewhere in South Europe a few years back. The reason it was cheap is due to its collar-less design, and its unusual size. I've ordered a cheap £6 internet 127mm bottom bracket today so that I can compare the difference to establish what size axle to run. It's brand new, but very low grade. It's always handy to have a few cheap spare bottom brackets around, as you can install and test them first before committing to an expensive Titanium one.

Managed to get some more bits put on it, followed by a brief photo session against the wall before DIY jobs take over. Still unsure on the chainrings being Black. The OEM spec was Silver, and I do have some spare Silver rings, but I was convinced Black would be right. Thoughts?

mt8fhd.jpg

n5fxa0.jpg

e6rj29.jpg

14kh1sz.jpg

vy4evq.jpg

2uotlr6.jpg

2ntg1w0.jpg

2hg8sht.jpg

2mruo8i.jpg

The reason why I've not yet trial fitted the granny ring is because the cranks came without the inner ring spacers. I've got a few sets knocking around, but they're not quite the right size. I've commissioned a few sets to made up as I've a few cranks that need some. The ones I'll be using for this bike though are to be anodised turquoise. I also bought some turquoise outer chainring bolts today too; these are just a bit dark for my liking.

I picked up some gear and brake cables on the way home today, so looks like they'll be the next job. I had initially bought some Grey cables, but they just never looked right, so I opted for Black today.

The black rings are definitely the way forward, the colour of the rings and blue anodized bolts complement for front and rear folks well IMO. It's looking really good

Benandemu":32wifwn9 said:
I think the axle was about £20 from somewhere in South Europe a few years back. The reason it was cheap is due to its collar-less design, and its unusual size. I've ordered a cheap £6 internet 127mm bottom bracket today so that I can compare the difference to establish what size axle to run. It's brand new, but very low grade. It's always handy to have a few cheap spare bottom brackets around, as you can install and test them first before committing to an expensive Titanium one.

Managed to get some more bits put on it, followed by a brief photo session against the wall before DIY jobs take over. Still unsure on the chainrings being Black. The OEM spec was Silver, and I do have some spare Silver rings, but I was convinced Black would be right. Thoughts?

mt8fhd.jpg

n5fxa0.jpg

e6rj29.jpg

14kh1sz.jpg

vy4evq.jpg

2uotlr6.jpg

2ntg1w0.jpg

2hg8sht.jpg

2mruo8i.jpg

The reason why I've not yet trial fitted the granny ring is because the cranks came without the inner ring spacers. I've got a few sets knocking around, but they're not quite the right size. I've commissioned a few sets to made up as I've a few cranks that need some. The ones I'll be using for this bike though are to be anodised turquoise. I also bought some turquoise outer chainring bolts today too; these are just a bit dark for my liking.

I picked up some gear and brake cables on the way home today, so looks like they'll be the next job. I had initially bought some Grey cables, but they just never looked right, so I opted for Black today.

Is there something wrong with the left side of the bike? :LOL:

Looks great though :cool:

Sean

Back