1994 Lotus Monocoque; Meets it's maker.

Yep only use Onza’s - if you want a go on it I’ve no problem with that Steve

It’s going to be one of the first to be packed for Mayhem

*Disclaimer; I may have gotten a bit carried away whilst writing this post, but I haven't edited anything, as this is how it *feels*. Enjoy!

The lotus had a spa day today.

A nice rub down, new springy bits, Adjusted the gears that had been dodgy for... years...

Had a chance to pamper and prep some of my other bikes too in readiness for Mountain Mayhem, which meant riding up and down the street checking shifting, braking, checking for loose bits etc. Whilst doing this, it occurred to me that I've NEVER ridden any of my bikes back-to-back.

Bikes ridden;
Lotus
Oclv
Ridgeback
(and because it happened to be out)
2008 Stumpjumper FSR (120mm & modern kit)

The three retro bikes all have a scalpel-like similar handling, whilst the Stumpy is like a monster truck, Bulldozing everything!

The Lotus;
Chris H. Jones spoke so much about the soft-tail aspect of his design. Even I had no idea HOW much this smooths the ride out. With the pace forks now at 100%, the ride is unbelievably tight, and Utterly smooth. You never feel the flex. It's there, but you never feel it. It rides so smooth... like it has huge tyres, or 3" travel, but with none of the negative associated with them. it *floats*. It accelerates HARD, the super-short head tube giving it a VERY low front end, and a very racy position, and although it eggs you on to go faster, it never feels like it's about to bite you. It's like the family spaniel; Crazy as a box of frogs off the lead, but once you're home, it'll curl up on your lap in front of the fire and make you feel warm and loved.

I F*****g love this bike!

OCLV:
It's fast. Damn fast. 20lb and skinny tyres. Actually, not as flexible as I thought it was, and surprisingly compliant. The handling is actually less razor-like than you'd think, and quite neutral, which I like. Decelerates faster than expected. I've actually spent very little time on this bike due to the brake issues, but riding it makes you feel like superman :)

Ridgeback:
Built as a bit of a joke from my spare parts bin. Handles quite nicely, but is surprisingly stiff for a steel frame. Dunno what to make of this one yet.

The Stumpy:
A go anywhere tank that is roughly akin to riding a chesterfield. Lots of fun for very different reasons.

Get all your bikes out, and jump on each one for 5 mins. Best. Day. Ever.

Re:

Love the enthusiasm. That's what bikings all about. Forget wall hangers ( I know I'm approaching this ) but believe me I can't wait to ride it after your words :D

Re: Re:

yakboy":vh5evzt1 said:
Love the enthusiasm. That's what bikings all about. Forget wall hangers ( I know I'm approaching this ) but believe me I can't wait to ride it after your words :D

Mr Yak - for part two on this theme

How about bringing yours along to Mayhem and I’ll ride both and then let you guys know who did the best job of building them - YakMan or Suzuki Stev’o

Re:

It's so close to being finished but just not quite there in time for Malvern's or Mayhem but next year I promise and it would be a honour for you to do a comparison ( well I might change my mind when I finally meet you :D but here's an Internet promise anyway)

At some point this thread will get an update with a pic or two of this lovely bike back out on the trails in a competitive environment .... inserts LGF style <cough>

And with Yakboy having signed up for 2020 perhaps we’ll see an Uber rare brace in 2020

yakboy":1swyctu1 said:
It's so close to being finished but just not quite there in time for Malvern's or Mayhem but next year I promise and it would be a honour for you to do a comparison ( well I might change my mind when I finally meet you :D but here's an Internet promise anyway)

Retro Spud":14z5llgu said:
At some point this thread will get an update with a pic or two of this lovely bike back out on the trails in a competitive environment .... inserts LGF style <cough>

And with Yakboy having signed up for 2020 perhaps we’ll see an Uber rare brace in 2020

I have a distinct memory of watching MTS riding his Lotus down the gravel road towards the porta loos at pace... a cloud of dust behind him and 20mm sharp gravel flying all about! :shock:

Wish I’d had a long lens on me.... :cool:

Not so sure Yakboy would want to do that with his Super Shiny though? :?

Retro Spud":117gcikf said:

I've stolen pic taken by Easy Rider from the aftermath thread;

I love that Photo, primarily because of Chris (Rampage) in the background!! *Hi Chris, this is not your bike :)*

The Lotus will be back at mayhem next year :)

Attachments

• Racing Lotus 2.jpg
    Racing Lotus 2.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 220
  • Racing Lotus 2 - Edited.jpg
    Racing Lotus 2 - Edited.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 220
Back