1994 Kona Lava Dome

All from RetroBike! Hence the warning to run! (people are keen to sell to fellow enthusiasts, so prices are lower than Ebay).The only thing I'm not happy with now is the modern crank, (bought this before I found this site). Now feel the need to invest in some classic bling, but might have to wait for my birthday! :LOL:
The for sale thread can quickly become like an obsession, people are so quick to snap up the parts, you end up checking it constantly!! :)

those piccy's bring back good memories of the 94 lava dome i owned, was a 16", i wish it had been bigger, it would have kept it, but having said that, if i see one at 19" i might have a punt

BarneyRubble":154uobng said:
All from RetroBike! Hence the warning to run! (people are keen to sell to fellow enthusiasts, so prices are lower than Ebay).The only thing I'm not happy with now is the modern crank, (bought this before I found this site). Now feel the need to invest in some classic bling, but might have to wait for my birthday! :LOL:
The for sale thread can quickly become like an obsession, people are so quick to snap up the parts, you end up checking it constantly!! :)
Yes, I think invest is a better word than spend.

The amount it costs to be a retro-biker is much exaggerated. If you buy wisely second-hand, everything should be worth what you paid for it and should last you a good while. In contrast to money spent on a night out, wife's clothes, children's toys etc, all of which will soon be in the trash.

And if you're commuting on a bike like that, you can't expect it to be free. You're actually saving money, relative to any other form of commuting except walking. I'd expect your £300's worth of kit to last you quite a few miles, and still be worth something at the end of it, if you ever decide to hang up your spds. and anyway, you need a good bike to get you to work. That way, it sets you up for the day and aids your career. It's all an investment.

Anthony":1bam7pir said:
It's all an investment.

:LOL: I will print that out for my Mrs to read whenever another package arrives from a fellow retrobiker! You are right about the value for money though; my mate purchased a new Kona for £650 in june, rode it once and now it's worth £400 because they are knocking them out for this in the sales. My £400 total investment should be fairly safe because the bits I have purchased should hold (most) of their value if I look after my bike.

That's my story and i'm sticking to it. :)

PS compared to the drop in value in my Ellsworth Epiphany since I bought it in may '07, i can cope with losing the whole £400! :)

mine

here's my work in progress.

i only had the frame left in the shed.
i've spent just under £200 so far on:
project 2 forks
control center h/set (red)
velocity stem (its a '96 but i dont care... much)
deore/dx thumbies
chill pills cable hangers (green)
onza h-o cantis
lx front mech
kalloy s/post

found the xt mech & cranks in a box somewhere with the dia-compe brake levers and the ringle cage - bonus!
lbs owner gave me the dog collar cable router as mine had disappeared?!

just needs wheels, tyres, grips, bb, chain & a flite to finish her/myself off.. brilliant!!

can't wait til summer as should be rideable by then

Attachments

• DSC01106.JPG
    DSC01106.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 934
  • DSC00880.JPG
    DSC00880.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 931
Back