1994 Kona Lava Dome

The size is measured centre to top. I can't remember the top tube length, is it 22.5" for an 18?

Anthony...?

Its 52cm from Behind the Head tube to In front of the Seat Tube...So that seems about right. I will measure from the centre of the BB to Top of Seat tonight...

Thanks

maddernj":1q4j1k5x said:
Its 52cm from Behind the Head tube to In front of the Seat Tube...So that seems about right. I will measure from the centre of the BB to Top of Seat tonight...
Thanks
Yes, it's an 18. It's just that the top tube measurement is usually taken from the centre of the seat tube to the centre of the head tube - that should be 56cm, which is consistent with the measurement you took.

Difficult to see from here why you're going to respray it. Looks basically in good condition, any blemishes could be touched in with a close colour after stabilising with Kurust.

You wouldn't raise all that much selling it, why not keep it and get it going again?

I Have just started Commuting to Work (About 20miles a Day). So was Looking for a Bike to do this on, I Will prob be looking to get a Planet X Carbon Road bike in June, But want a 2nd bike as Back up. The Paint has gone through to the Bare Metal on the head Tube (Cable rub) I have some touch up paint to fix this.

Out of interest How much do you think I would be looking at Ball Park to get this up and Running again ? Everything apart from the frame & Forks. Nothing to Fancy just some V-Brakes and Light Wheels.

Thanks

I purchased an identical Lava Dome in full working order for £100 about 3 months ago with the intention of it being a cheap commuter. I reckoned on about £100 to replace the drive chain, at which point I could have left it....but I discovered this site and I have now replaced the saddle, seatpost, stem, bars, wheels, brakes, grips, chainset, BB, chain, pedals and tyres! that will be everything except the frame, forks and headset then. All in all I've probably spent £300 on top of the price of the bike! :)

Run away when you still can!!! :)

Got Any pictures for inspiration ?

As it would be used for Road work only, Could i get away with a Dura Ace rear mech and only Two Chain Rings. I have a Couple of Steep hills on the way in (up / Down Crystal Palace) So would not want anything huge on the front. Also i take it i could get away with Narrow Rims ?

maddernj":1te0mwwx said:
Got Any pictures for inspiration ?

I will have after the weekend, it is still in it's unmolested form, but will be transformed with my cardboard box full of new parts at the weekend. :) So excited it's tragic really! :)

I'm running some narrow sun (CR-18?) rims on Hope Ti Glides and with 1" Panaracer slick tyres at 80 PSI - Super fast! :)

Back