1994 Kona Lava Dome W.I.P - Newbie

Thanks. It'll be staying the original (or as near to as possible if I need it re-spraying).

I thought the headset would be a 1 1/8. I got confused by the stem as it says it a 25.4 mm which is 1 inch. I've got to get used to all these old style things again. I haven't done this stuff since I was a kid always upgrading my Giant.

wilkij1975":1s19begj said:
I thought the headset would be a 1 1/8. I got confused by the stem as it says it a 25.4 mm which is 1 inch. I've got to get used to all these old style things again. I haven't done this stuff since I was a kid always upgrading my Giant.
Yes that's right, the stem for a 1 1/8" system is 1" in diameter. The steerer is 1 1/8" external diameter, the walls of the steerer are 1/16" thick, so the internal diameter of the steerer is 1" and the stem is a nice fit inside that.

Right, not much to update but here goes.

After some trouble with the BB and with some good advise on here the frame is now bare. I have contacted a few powder coaters in my area and they are reasonably priced and have had experience of bike frames before. I wasn't going to get it re-coated but the more I took off it the worse the paint looked. Would like to keep it the original or as near as possible to the original colour but if not might go for an orange or blue (see Cotic Soul and BFe) with black forks?

Got a couple of other bits. Found some XT thumbies on ebay for a good price and also got some High Command brake levers from retrokona. A bloke at work sold me some old wheels he had, Mavic X221 rims with Bigfoot front and XT Parralax rear hubs (£20 bargain :D ).

I think all I need now is a new seatpost (the one that came with it will be way too short) and maybe a front mech as the adjuster screws look rusted in. May try and get an XT rear mech, maybe a short cage but not sure yet.

Hopefully have more to update soon.

if you want some alternative colour but same style decals as the ones on the frame, i have some, if you pm me, they are just black and white, look pretty cool,

great all round bike, I have one identical to your same size too for a daily rider. I'd love to see how this turns out. have fun with it!

Back